cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constantly dropped from website

deajae

hullo,

Working my way around my new website made by BT, i keep finding when editing content and checking, that upon save' the whole thing drops to a blank page.

Not sure if its connected to this problem that a few times when calling up the site for a customer, the page is blank/empty. Chrome sometimes gives 'Timeout error', but when i can get in, content doesnt appear in the editor.

Is there any maintainence going on affecting this?

Also a little thing whats been bugging me for weeks in the joomla admin/SEO side of things.. Every page (apart from contact page) says 'Keyword percentage too high'. tested a few things (empty keyword list, empty content still says it) and only managed to get the green tick when i've put a random or vague number of words to do with my content.

Does this 'Keyword percentage too high' stop my site from SEO improvements? as i never seem to get many hits anyway.

1 REPLY 1

Sogo7
Grand Master

Hello Deajae,

Cant really help with the quirks of the BT site builder, such packages tend to be 'as is' with little hope of ever being updated or patched with improvements. You would probably be better off re-building the site with Wordpress as that package is well supported (and free).

A lot of people have still to catch on that the rules of SEO changed dramatically in december 2010 with Google now personalising over 20% of searches and this figure is set to rise.  In a statement from one of their leading search engine programmers, they said webmasters should concentrate on the user experience and actual site content rather than pleasing the search bot.

Meta tags for keywords and descriptions have also been largely ignored since 1990, Google will look at them but does not place much trust in them being correct.  So instead Google reads the text content of the actual page, building it's own list of keywords for the site and compares this against the meta tag information. Overuse of a particular word or phrase in an attempt to make the site more appealing to the search bot is a process known as 'Keyword Stuffing' and not a good idea.

RULE ONE of SEO: Google is not stupid

They also take a keen intrest in page titles and file / folder names.  Remember search engines have no eyes, anything using FLASH  or text written on images is invisible to them. Less well known is that they also read external javascript files looking for hidden content or cloaked links to undesireable sites.

RULE TWO of SEO: SEO is not a miracle cure - if the content is poor so will be the ranking at best SEO techniques will maybe move the site up the ranking a few places. The other big problem you have is that a LOT of SEO is about the internal structure of the page source code and when using a CMS you have no control over that.

Without a link to site it's hard to give more constructive advice about how to get more traffic for you. You could start by getting  design reviews from one of the many coding/ design forums that abound on the web. Signature tagging in related forums also helps raise awareness as does social network bookmarking.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner