cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do they need to dig up the road to install ISDN?

TheSpyHusband

I've got an engineer coming next week to install ISDN2e for my business, although I believe this initial visit is for a 'survey'.

This is what worries me a bit.  When an engineer fitted my business phone line last weekand I told him I'd be getting ISDN2e he said something about my exisiting line not being able to take ISDN and that they would have to fit a new line.  This would involve digging with a charge of around £50 a metre he said.

Of the several people I know that have ISDN2e, they've not mentioned any road digging!  Is this true, is it something to do with how long ago the original phone lines were laid, ie are older lines (say, from the 80s) unfit and newer lines ok?

I don't really want to pay any more than I have already as I've not budgeted for any road digging, but the nature of my business means that I need ISDN2e so I may have to cough-up if it is required.

Anyone with any experience of this?

5 REPLIES 5

pueblobenito

you may have a line plant issue BT's records will show if there is an issue so may need to double check first.

are you remote ?

is there telegraph or green boxes close by ?

do you have a DACS unit this is a white box and is installed if there is a problem with cabaling to your building.

isdn cant be installed if you have a dacs unit.  http://frank.gwc.org.uk/~ali/dacs/dacs.jpeg

also why do you need isdn2, what are you using it for

TheSpyHusband

I'm not remote... very urban where I am.  There is a green box a few hundred yards away I think on the main road.

Don't have a DACS unit - don't recognise anything like the picture so I'm pretty sure I don't have one of them.

I need ISDN2e for my voice over/audio production business.  Voiceover artists and broadcasters use ISDN2e to send high quality audio to each other.

pueblobenito

try this

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

if you can have broadband, isdn2 should be ok just depending on wiring to the building

TheSpyHusband

I'm good to go according to that website link.  Your "depending on the wiring" comment is the bit that niggles me.  That's the impression I got from the engineer that installed my PSTN line.  He said there isn't enough wire to get ISDN, although it looked to me like there were loads of wires coming up through the box (Mind you, I'm not au fait with BT wiringSmiley Very Happy)  That's when he mentioned digging up roads or borrowing the neighbours lines!

I'm wondering if installing my business PSTN line has used up wiring that could have been used for ISDN?

Anyway I'll be annoyed if this doesn't turn out to be a simple job and I have to fork out a fortune.  BT Local gave me free ISDN installation and at no point was the possibility of extra installation charges mentioned, and as I said earlier I've not budgeted for this and ISDN2e is kinda crucial to my business!

I'll find out on Thursday morning.  Fingers crossed!

TheSpyHusband

All sorted!

No digging took place, thankfully.  The engineer fitted a DACS unit to split my home and business phone and was able to put the ISDN in no problem.