cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Issue Frustration

Peter_G
Power User

I am fairly new to eShop so maybe I am still feeling my way.  But, as far as I can tell, a few days ago I had successfully linked my eShop with my domain name, www.qgifts.co.uk.  At least, my eShop was, and still is, visible to the general public under that domain name.  I have been adding a few products over my first few days with eShop, seeing all these additions successfully go live and wondering smugly where were all the problems that I have been reading about in this forum.

Some time ago, early Friday evening, I was looking forward to adding some few dozens of products into my eShop over the weekend and really getting the shop properly stocked.  And then I suddenly find myself locked out of my own eShop with the message from BT 'In order to set up your domain to work with you (sic) eShop, the BT DNS team needs to make an adjustment to you (sic) DNS records. Please click the "Fix Domain Issue Button" and fill out the required fields and BT will update your record within 16 business hours'.  The 'bricks and mortar' equivalent of this is my landlord changing the locks to my shop a week after exchanging contracts and my starting fitting out and stocking, telling me to come back in a few days for the new keys!  This wouldn't happen!

I haven't had a 'domain issue' up til now.  What has suddenly changed that turns my shop from a working viable entity into an inaccessible drain on my financial resources and time?  I really would like to appreciate how BT can understand this problem, know how to fix it, yet be unable to prevent it happening.

Well there we are, nothing to do this weekend now but whinge.  Anyone got any words of comfort?

Regards

Peter_G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James
Master User

Hello all, thanks for letting us know about this issue. I sent the details you provided to the relevant BT team and they came back with the following:

BT are aware of this issue, it was caused by a change to the IP address. As far as I believe Register rolled this change back so as Peter_G states all is now working correctly again. Tonight a final change is going through so customers will no longer have this problem again.

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sassyb

Hi, no words of comfort unfortunately, but thought you might feel better to know that the same thing has happened to me today!  It's just one more thing in what quite frankly has been a catalogue of disappointments and frustation in my dealings with BT Websites.

Did you complete the form and send it back?

Regards

Sarah R

Peter_G
Power User

Sarah

Yes, I did send the form back, but I don't expect the problem to be touched until Monday a.m.  So it might well be Tuesday evening before I get the new keys to my shop.  I don't suppose I'll get a rent rebate though.  I guess the small print covers BT for such eventualities.

Peter_G

Debsss

I have experienced the same thing.  I had intended being busy all weekend but find I have hit an e-wall.

Peter_G
Power User

Sarah

Incidentally, was your situation the same as mine ie had you successfully been running your shop before your lockout, or was this the first time you had tried to link your eShop to your domain?

Peter_G

sassyb

Hi Peter,

To be fair my site isn't actually live at the moment - I am still in dispute about it with BT Design & Build team but I have (until today) been able to access the site they have built so far via MyOffice/Manage Services/Manage 'My Site.co.uk'/Ecommerce/eshop, in order to edit content and begin to load products etc. 

They have been pressing me to sign off the site - which I am not prepared to do at present because it isn't as I agreed at the final draft stage.  I'm supposed to be speaking to them on Monday morning to go through the list of amendments that need to happen before I will agree to sign off.  This will be difficult as rather than relying on memory I was hoping to have access in order to compile a full list of 'tweaks'.  I am worried because as far as they are concerned the site is done and they are talking about an automatic sign off which I am trying to avoid. 

As my site is not yet live today's problem hasn't actually affected my business as such, although they have already put me back nearly 2 months because they forgot about me when the web developer I originally had moved on and then they failed to respond to messages etc), but it has served to further diminish what little confidence I had in their ability to provide a reliable service in the future.  I have to say that I am really disappointed with them so far and this just seems to be 'par for the course' as they say.

You're right that they will probably have it covered in the small print - they have all the angles sorted which basically means they can get away with whatever they want and we get to pay for the privilege.

Hope you get sorted.

Sarah

Peter_G
Power User

Of no relevance to eShop, but to add BT insult to BT injury, when I get into my bricks and mortar shop on Monday morning, I find I am unable to use my HSBC card-processing system because of a fault at .....yes, BT.  If it wasn't for the fact that I know this is affecting lots of retailers in the Portsmouth area, my paranoid side would suspect a conspiracy against those who complain about BT.

Regards

Peter_G

Peter_G
Power User

OK, as of 6 pm Monday I can access my eShop again.  Now can BT answer the question I posed in my first post.  How is it that BT can understand this 'Domain Issue' problem, know how to fix it, yet be unable to prevent it happening?

Regards

Peter_G

James
Master User

Hello all, thanks for letting us know about this issue. I sent the details you provided to the relevant BT team and they came back with the following:

BT are aware of this issue, it was caused by a change to the IP address. As far as I believe Register rolled this change back so as Peter_G states all is now working correctly again. Tonight a final change is going through so customers will no longer have this problem again.

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

Tapti

Hello.... How is it that BT can understand ...this 'Domain Issue' problem, know how to fix it, yet be unable to prevent it happening?............... ======================================== Thanks... ======================================== <removed by moderator>