cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain forwarding

tuckersswansea

Hi,

I am trying to forward my BT domain name tuckersfish.co.uk to my website tuckersfreshfish.co.uk

I put tuckersfreshfish.co.uk in the forwarding box and got the following message .....

"You are trying to set a www record, when one already exists for this domain. This can cause issues with the domain resolving properly. None of the changes just submitted have been saved. If you need to change a www record please use Advanced Domain Manager."

I have no idea what this means, please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi gregsiddons,

I would recommend that you contact our DNS team to make the change for you.  Once they have initiall made the first change to the WWW record, you will be able to edit it afterwords if required.

If you go to www.dnsforms.co.uk and select the option DNS A-Record repoint, then select email.  Fill the form in and we will email you back once the change has been made.

Regards

Markp

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

frontlinedesign

Hi tuckersswansea,

Whilst I am afraid I can offer you little help with this problem, hopefully it will console you to know that both myself and many other customers have had this exact problem. As we speak I am trying to get 2 domain names I just purchased to redirect to my website (admin if you read this, please help me too!).

What I do know; from what BT admin have said on other similar posts, is that this error occurs when instead of rewriting the existing domain record, it creates a new one next to it - this causes the error message you stated...and in other cases has been solved by one of the BT admin guys checking your records and removing the duplicated record.

Hope this helps - I'm no web guru! If you find a solution or hear from the admin team can you please post a reply?

Thanks,

Harry - Frontline Design

dave
Guru

I have had a look at this and it looks like the tag has been changed. Are you currently in the process of moving this domain to another company?

mlindop

This is the same problem I am getting? I thought it was because I selected a Business account rather than a personal. I’m not transferring a domain, all I want to do is redirect to another web address.

sharkattack

Very much thanks for nice posting......

gregsiddons

Thought I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one...

I too am having trouble forwarding another BT bought domain. I already have an old extra domain which is being forwarded to my primary domain with no problems.

However, my brand new domain won't forward. When I choose the "forward domain" option (and enter the primary URL to forward to) it brings up the following error?

"You are trying to set a www record, when one already exists for this domain. This can cause issues with the domain resolving properly. None of the changes just submitted have been saved. If you need to change a www record please use Advanced Domain Manager."

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you!

markp
Grand Guru

Hi gregsiddons,

I would recommend that you contact our DNS team to make the change for you.  Once they have initiall made the first change to the WWW record, you will be able to edit it afterwords if required.

If you go to www.dnsforms.co.uk and select the option DNS A-Record repoint, then select email.  Fill the form in and we will email you back once the change has been made.

Regards

Markp

gregsiddons

Thank you Mark,

It is now allowing me to change the "www" key. Not sure how I managed that; it may have been a propagation issue and I was being impatient.

It's all happy now 🙂

Greg