cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastically slow internet speeds (BT2700HGV)

Barnee

Hi,

For the past few months I have been experiencing my internet speed dropping dramatically at random times from around 1500kbs to 200kbs (even when nobody else is connected to the network). I find this odd as my IP page is currently telling me I should be recieving 7584kbs download and 448kbs upload - which has never even been close to happening. 

Is there any known support around that can help me out - or is the fix simply just to get a new router (I've heard rumours that this router is particularly troublesome - BT2700HGV). I had a look about the internet and didn't really discover any fixes to the problems I'm having.

If you need me to supply any other data I should be able to find just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

TimDurham75
Power User

Hi,

I had a similar scenario last year - the issue was with BT infrastructure and eventually  "disappeared"; was resolved somewhere; by their engineers.   Whilst it is technically possible for local problem: router/filter/noise/line and they will require  to "go through the motions", to eliminate these first, I suspect that the real problem (with such a significant speed drop) is an upstream problem so can only be resolved by going through BT Support.  You just need to keep on chasing them until the matter resolves to your satisfaction.

In my case, as I maintained all along, the issue was not at my end or anything under my control.   I have an old BT2700HGV and, whilst it does have a number of "known issues" is actually a fairly good device and not, primarily, the source of most problems as might be suggested.

Tim

MHC
Guru

The 2700HGV-C is certainly not troublesome.   It is one of teh best devices there to hold long line/high attenuation connections.   It will work with a 3dB SNR margin,  and can even hold teh signal at 0dB.

It may not have some of te fancy functions some devies have but it does what it was required and designed to do.

Can you get your attenuation and SNT fingures? 

sej7278
Super User

i get exactly the same speeds with my business hub as with my netgear, however the netgear loads the pages faster and more reliably (seems the 2700 has problems with images - lots of tcp retransmissions) and the netgear handles dns properly (even bt admits its hubs shouldn't be used as dns servers) and the netgear has better wireless range.

i don't think a new modem/router would help you that much (gotta be a line/dslam problem if things are that slow) but once you've got your speeds fixed, i'd say ditch the 2700.