cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a real or fake security alert?

bannism4

Security.JPG

I don't feel safe clicking the Click-here - looks too

much like a spoof e-mail trying to run something on my PC to gain access.

6 REPLIES 6

TimDurham75
Power User

What is that image supposed to contain?   I see a faded yellow triangle in faded black border.  Of itself this tells nothing!!  It is the context in which it appears that indicates the authenticity.  Is this in an email or web browser and when did it appear?  If in an email examine the raw message content to determine the true source this is *not* the FROM field entry, necessarily - that data can be spoofed.  If in a web browser then determine the page source and reliability of that for reputation.

I would suggest all such items, in general, are likely to be fake.   In a browser never download, agree or run anything unless 100% certain that you can validate the source and that you have the technical ability and infrastructure to deal with the situation should it turn out to be something "nasty".

Just apply some common sense - if it seems suspicious then better to assume that it is: you should be in control!

Tim

Ixel
Power User

If I recall that faded triangle image typically means the moderator needs to approve the image.

TimDurham75
Power User

Hmmm - good call Ixel, which begs the question: how best to attract moderator attention to get that done?  What should be the procedure?

OFF TOPIC:

Seems a bit of a weakness in current forum security settings - this is supposed to be a "self help" medium: not necessarily an official BT support channel, but to get a meaningful response OP needs to be able to post the image they are asking the question about.  As this already requires a login, therefore, presumably fully trackable, why is it necessary to have additional sanction on the image content too?  A problem with one implies issue with the other anyway so might result in restriction to OP account and removal of posting anyway.   I can understand possible restrictions on image size but this seems OTT.

Seems a bit contradictory to have a system that actually puts a block in place for the original purpose of the medium - or is it just me to see this as a contradiction?   OP has stood for a while so clearly moderation is low priority activity thus not helpful to service.  Alternatively can the placeholder image be update to contain some sort of "awaiting approval" message so that we know what this means?

I guess we can't help then ...

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi,

As Tim correctly said, we would need more information about context, links, etc. to figure out what the story is with this.

By the way Tim unfortunately we don't have 24 hour coverage on forum moderation, so unless you want to walk my dog and do my washing the weekends are a little sparse.

Dave

TimDurham75
Power User

Hi Dave - wish this Forum had a "LIKE" facility for that response.  It's a fair point but it is a "catch-22" isn't it - as documented, BT do not treat this as an official support channel but some of the features do not seem to allow it to actually function as suggested due to the requirement for some admin interaction.  Not a personal criticism, you maybe do not have sufficient privileges yourself, I don't know, but I note that the image is still locked so we still cannot use that feature or help.

If attachments and image upload are not really to be "permitted" can these aspects not be completely disabled or otherwise removed to prevent people wasting their time with attempting to use them?   The OP could be waiting forever for a response they will never get because we cannot answer.

DaveA
BT Partner
BT Partner

Hi Tim,

That is very true regarding the OP.  I shall drop a PM to them asking for more information.

As far as the board itself goes I'm new to it, as I'm temporarily taking over from MarkP.  I have, and still do, use phpBB3 for my WoW guild website, so I'm used to being able to do much more than here, but direct mod powers on this one are fairly light ay my level.

I shall, however, make enquiries and do some digging when I get a spare few minutes.

Oh, and while there isn't a 'like' button, you can give Kudos to a post by clicking on the little blue star-like thing to the left of the post.  Kudos build up and you can view them in tables on the right for the various threads, forums, and the board overall. 

Dave