cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband Availability Checker estimated speed appears to be wrong.

jsmithalpine

Fibre broadband has been available in our area for quite some time.

But whenever I do a check it always comes back with an estimate less than 15Mb about 12.7Mb.  With this reading BT will not supply the Fibre product.

Properties on either side of my property within 50m have estimated readings of 33.9Mb and 28.2Mb.

I'm sure that I am connected to the same cabinet as one of these other properties.

But, it appears that all the house supplied from the one access point in the pathment have the same lower reading as myself.

Speaking to someone I was advised that 3 cabinets supplied the phones to my postcode, although I would have only expected 2.  I wonder if the checker has us connected to the wrong cabinet?

Earlier this week when someone opposite had Fibre installed ( I assume ) the 33.9Mb reading jumped up from 22Mb and the 28.2Mb increase from 17.3Mb.  However, my reading remained the same.

I believe there is an issue with the wholesale information for my property.

Can anyone advise the best approach to get this issue looked into and corrected or proved to be correct?

14 REPLIES 14

Deek

Hi James,

I would be grateful if you could confirm the approx. date that BT started making 40Mb fibre available to customers the UK.

I would also be grateful if you could confirm how many sub-15Mb customers have been provided with fibre services since this roll-out started.

Ok, BT cannot commit publicly to a date at this time to when sub-15Mb customers will receive fibre, but surely BT can offer an indicative time frame.  This year, next year, 2012, 2013, 2014, ...?

As you can appreciate, businesses have got to plan ahead (i.e. develop and work to a business plan) based on technologies that are both available and on the horizon.  I had planned to roll-out super fast broadband to my customers since January based upon guidance and published information circulated by BT, that fibre broadband would be made available to my company on 30 September.  This has obviously not materialised.  In fact, I feel that I (and other customers) have been mislead and continue to be mislead by BT who advises that it does indeed plan to offer fibre to sub-15Mb customers, but will not commit to a date.

If (as you say) BT is planning to provide sub-15Mb customers with fibre, then please advise on what basis/grounds have you made this public statement.  If there is indeed a plan, please share this information with your business customers on this forum.  Surely this is not too much to ask?

James
Master User

Deek, in answer to your questions:

BT Business launched Fibre Broadband on 25th January 2010.

We have not provided any customers with sub-15MB fibre broadband as the product is not currently available.

Once more I pushed your question back to the fibre team but they are not able to supply a date as yet as to when sub-15MB customers will be able to get fibre broadband. Sorry this isn’t the answer you’re looking for but this information isn’t publicly available.

James

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

Deek

Thanks for the swift reply James,

So why is the BT helpdesk (after consulting with the fibre team) advising sub-15Mb customers to expect to have fibre soon? As I have said, I was told in October that I would have fibre by mid November.  This is not only grossly inaccurate, but appears to be in breach of BTs policy of conduct.

I trust this unacceptable practice has now been stopped by your intervention and no more sub-15Mb customers will be advised (either by telephone or via this forum) that BT is planning to make fibre available to sub-15Mb customers when no such plans exist.

In the interest of clarity, I wish to make to following statement...

It has been confirmed by BT that it currently has NO plans to make fibre broadband available to customers where the projected broadband speed is below 15Mb.

Do you wish to challenge the above statement James?

James
Master User

Deek, the Fibre team has been made aware of the helpdesk issue you raised and is dealing with this currently.

As regards the following statement ... :

It has been confirmed by BT that it currently has NO plans to make fibre broadband available to customers where the projected broadband speed is below 15Mb.

... this is incorrect, BT is planning to make fibre broadband available to customers where the projected broadband speed is below 15Mb, I just can't provide a launch date on this Forum.

Have you read your private message? Top-right of the screen by your name, click on the envelope icon.

James

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.
Thank you.

Deek

James, your post...

... "this is incorrect, BT is planning to make fibre broadband available to customers where the projected broadband speed is below 15Mb, I just can't provide a launch date on this Forum".

The above post reminds me of the (tongue-in-cheek) sign mounted above the bar down my local which reads "free beer tomorrow!".

BT employees (and BT forum moderators) cannot be allowed to make public statements that are unsupported by BT company policy and procedures.  A launch date has not been formally set by BT and therefore (to para-phase from your own words) fibre is currently NOT available to sub-15Mb customers.

It would appear that BT merely has an intention to make fibre available to sub-15Mb customers, however, this intention does not constitute a plan until a launch date is published in the public domain.

Do you wish to challenge this also James?