cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed cut by 40% but neighbours speed is OK

aaronspence

Got a wierd one for you.

For 4-5 months my business fibre line has been doing a grand 70-75mb down it didn't drop at all, was solid. Now I am getting 45mb down steady. I've phoned up and been told this is now the max the line can support due to demand in the area.

Heres the twist in the tale, I live very close to cabinet 7 of my village, my friend is connected to the same cabinet further away. He is still getting 75.9mb down and is on a residential package.

How on earth can I have a 40% decrease in speed and is there anything I can do? They don't seem to be able to help on the phone.

Thanks for reading my speil!

17 REPLIES 17

spank
Grand Guru

Either way it sounds like a problem with the built in filter.  You can put the plate back together without the middle part and just use a loose filter.  See how that goes.

Re..speed still 48

It might take some time to stabilise, leave it with the loose filter for a day and see if it rises.

aaronspence

You think so? Wouldn't I see the current rate increase if the filter was an issue

spank
Grand Guru

If the sync speed is 65 then you should be getting 65mb but if there's been errors detected on the line then the Dynamic Link Manager at the exchange will need time to compensate, leave it overnight, see how it goes.

If it's still low tomorrow let me know.

aaronspence

Ok cool shall do! Thank you spank.

aaronspence

A new day! A progressively worse max rate and db level. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.15.24.png

if the line can be 10db one day, then 5db the next using the test port would this not imply an issue outside of my house?

spank
Grand Guru

Yes, it would indeed.  Looks like you need some in depth testing.  Give the desk a call on 0800 800 154...you're already in the test port so the internal tesintg they will ask you to do has been carried out.  Probably go straight to engineer.

Thanks

aaronspence

Thanks for your time Spank. Engineer due on Monday so we shall see!

aaronspence

Hey,

Just to put a lid on this story. Openreach came and swapped my line to another port in cabinet and all is well. Port was dodgy or something.

Disapointing I've had to phone 4-5 different people who all said the line was fine to get it fixed but ah well!

Thanks,

Aaron