cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Analytics

strapstore

Anybody know how to set up Google Analytics goals properly?

I have added the code to the header and the tracking is working okay. However I can't see what URL I would enter for the basket/checkout page to register purchases. The URL for these seems to be unique to each visit.

According to the eShop help pages there is a 'Google Analytics' option in the 'Marketing' menu. Not in mine there isn't! I assume this is one of the options which BT charge extra for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnE
Guru

I am informed that there is to be a major upgrade to the eShop product in May, this will include Google Analytics.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Tracey
Guru

Hi strapstore,

Sorry to read about the issues you are having.

If you have a look at the eShop user guide there is information in there to assist you with this.

Thanks

Tracey

BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

graemewilliams
Super User

This is the sum total of information provided on Google Analytics in link above provided by BT:

Google Analytics
You can analyse the usage of your web site using Google Analytics. After this you must register with Google
Analytics. After registration, you select the pages whose data is sent to Google. In your Google Analytics
account, you can see the statistical data for individual pages statistically prepared for you.
Note: If you use Google Analytics, you must notify your customers of this. Add this to the content of
your privacy policy.

As you can see, it's not much use and doesn't go anywhere near towards answering the question asked by strapstore.

Come on BT, any chance you can provide a proper answer? I too am very interested in learning how to use ePages with Google Analytics for the "Goals" and "Ecommerce" options. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.rikkismusic.com
www.epagesdesign.wordpress.com - Tutorials, Tips & Ideas on ePages Ecommerce software.

strapstore

Agreed, the BT help files aren't much use with this, I think it refers to options which are only available with the higher subscription shop as well.

Incidentally Graeme, the link in your signature doesn't work. I think you need to add http:// to the beginning of the address or it just shows an error page.

graemewilliams
Super User

This is a question for the BT moderator:

When will Google Analytics be made available to BT users as an option under the Marketing tab? This was integrated by ePages in software release 6.0.7. We're currently running at 6.10.1, so I don't understand why we haven't got it. I know BT can pick and choose which features to implement but I wouldn't think it makes such a big deal to just offer it as standard.

Thanks

@strapstore - Cheers for the info. I've updated my signature so link works now.

www.rikkismusic.com
www.epagesdesign.wordpress.com - Tutorials, Tips & Ideas on ePages Ecommerce software.

JohnE
Guru

It is possible to insert the tracking code in the eshop. You can either use a user defined html element for it or insert the tracking code where ever an html field is available in the eshop.

Implementing an google tracking code is an easy task, because the code just has to be between the <body>...googletrackingcode...</body> tag.

In any case, if you call the helpdesk, you should be transferred to someone in the Value Added Services team who may be able to help.  It is fair to say that this is a Google product and you should, in the first instance, seek help from them.

strapstore

John,

Did you read the original post?

As I stated orignally I have already set up the tracking code and was not asking how to do so. 

What you say about inserting the code between the <body>..</body> tags is not the best way to do it. Google advise to insert the code just before the </head> tag. Which, in the case of eShop, can be done from General Settings..Status..Advanced Settings

I was asking if there is any way to set up Goals within Analytics using a URL, or part of, which identifies users visiting the shopping basket or checking out.

This is not something that Google would be able to help with as it is specific to the eShop software.

Also, it would be nice to know why the documentation refers to 'Google Analytics' under the 'Marketing' menu when the option does not exist.

graemewilliams
Super User

Hello John,

Further to strapstores comment above:

Both I and strapstore have inserted the GA code into the General Settings > Status > Advanced Settings field and it works (to a fashion). The problem is that it does not work for GA "Goals" and "Ecommerce". For this to happen we need the ePages feature that integrates with GA as follows:

- 6.0.7 [EPG-4342] Google Analytics integrated to ePages - Allows use of "Ecommerce" but not "Goals"

- 6.10.0 [EPG-14292] Google Analytics updated - Additionally now allows use of "Goals"

We are currently running at software release 6.10.1 so my question is why don't we have the GA integration feature? Maybe it is available in the eShop Elite (I'm using just the basic BT eShop).

Also I think BT will upgrade to 6.11.1 in May. Maybe GA integration will be made available under this update.

Thanks

www.rikkismusic.com

JohnE
Guru

graemewilliams, i take it this is for your domain name, rikkismusic.com?

graemewilliams
Super User

Hello JohnE,

That's correct. Yes.

www.rikkismusic.com