cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Base - I'm stuck!

Milkbug
Power User

Hi

Im trying to get my head round Google base and have followed the instructions as listed one epages but could someone answer why I am having these issues:

• Google showed my items as publised and searchable but I couldnt find them on base when I searched. I thought perhaps I had set it up wrong so I deleted the feed and started again. (I had set the pricing as I should)
  • Even though epages said that my data had been uploaded etc - it doesnt show on base under datafeeds as being uploaded - do i have to wait a while
  • Also when setting up the data feed it says that i need to name the file the same as the file being uploaded - I filled this in as milkbug.txt though I dont know what the file being uploaded from Epages is called - I thought perhaps this is an issue?

No Idea whats going on - have to admit I find the instructions from epages on this to highlevel for a novice and the help document doesnt help.

Is there anything with more information that can guide me through it?  

6 REPLIES 6

eShopTeam
Master User

Hello,

You can find a "how to set up google base" manual, if you search in the help topic for "google base".

Here a little guide for you.

Setting up google base in the eshop:

Insert FTP username

Insert FTP password

-> Insert File name of the date feed (in your example) "milkbug.txt"

Now finish setting the Export issues, Delivery method, Image, Description and Automatic export and upload change to the google base administration.

Coming up to creating and setting up google base "data feeds"

Click on "New Data Feed" < guess this step is already known.

Country setting usually "United Kingdom".

Select item type: "Products.

Specify the data feed file name (in your example) "milkbug.txt"

After Saving Changes open the data feed "milkbug.txt"

usually standard settings "Autodetect" for Fileformat, Encoding, Delimiter and Quoted Fields should work.

If not the eshop creates the upload file with the following settings:

Fileformat: txt

Encoding: utf-8

Delimiter: tab

Use quoted fields: yes

The eShop Team

orchie
Grand Master
Just to add to this it can take a bit of time for Google to show it as uploaded on your Google Base admin area, sometimes it can be a few hours.

Milkbug
Power User
Thanks for that - I did follow the instructions and my admin area on base says that it is uploaded and the items show as published and searchable but when I try to search in the main page of base the items dont show up - neither does my shop name. Any idea how I can get my products to show for the relevant keywords? 

Milkbug
Power User

actually I see my products - I was searching on the US site and not UK!

Just wanted to ask the products that I have set as not visible in my store have also transferred onto base - is there anyway on the next upload I can ensure that these products are not uploaded?  

lmcfood

I'm really stuck! New to websites, saw that I could use google to add feeds to help search for my site. I provide a service not a product, but thought that this would work. BUT, not sure what feeds are and would they be any use for my site?

HELP!!!!

Tracey
Guru

Hi lmcfood,

Im afraid you would need to speak to our Domain and Webhosting team, you can contact them by following this link www.dnsforms.co.uk (actually a URL forward to a page within the help and support pages) and fill in the DNS enquiry form (click DNS enquiry then email BT) and it'll get sorted.

This is the link to assist with all Domain queries / issues.

Hope this is of help

Tracey

BT Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.