cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, need to know asap, Business or home broadband, which is best for speed?

TM

I ordered a BT home fibre infinityunlimited broadband package as the speeds that I could get showed 22-30 with 20 guaranteed.  Before it was all set up I had reason to contact BT re our business broadband package, which we have at our business premises, in another location and they said that we could have a business package at home because we already had a business package elsewhere. 

Overall this seemed like a good idea so after much thought I cancelled the home package and was about to order the business one when it came to my attention that the speeds offered on business unlimited infinity were lower than the home one, only 12-22 with only 9.1 guaranteed.

I rang them up to ask them about this and they sort of said, in a roundabout way, that I was quite likely to get the higher speed quoted by business and didn't seem to think that I would be better off going back to the home one because of the higher guaranteed speed.

Does anyone know if I will definitely get less speed if I go with Business according to the quoted speeds or will I get as much as I am quoted on home because that's what I can get to my home (whether it's business unlimited infinity or home unlimited infinity)??

I just can't make up my mind what to do, speedwise, because I also wanted to take out the business package with anytime calls which include free calls to mobiles but the home package is only half price calls to mobiles. I just need to know about the speed and i have to take out the Business package today if I want to get the sale price as it is ending today.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

john46

They will be the same they both use the same Openreach fibre network

andyt22
Power User

John46 is right, they both use the same Infinity network and the BT specs are 76 Mbit/s maximum download speed for both business & domestic broadband services. Upload speeds used to differ (Business Option 2 was faster than Business Option 1 or home broadband) but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

But you do get a faster response to faults with the business Infinity package, as well as single and multiple static IP addresses, no ports blocked (so you can run SMTP & DNS mail servers at your end, etc) - these extras may not be important to you however.

Andy 

windymiller123
Power User

From what I read on here, your best advice would be to use a different service provider.