cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homepage

zoflora

Someone help! My website is www.harlequincakes.co.uk. I have just added the google verification meta thing to my html head section and google analytics tracking code just befor the closing head section. Now my home page has turned very odd and I'm unsure what to do. I have followed instructions as well as I can (I'm new to all this web building stuff) but somethings gone wrong! Any advise would be gratefull!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

duskjome
BT Partner
BT Partner

On a wing and a prayer I tried a few of the various index backups for your site and it looks like http://www.harlequincakes.co.uk/index.html_old has both the site verification code and appears normal. So renaming that to index.html sould solve your problems. Not sure what about the verification code could cause this unless it was in the initial copy and paste of the code. But I think that should do it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

duskjome
BT Partner
BT Partner

That is a mess, but luckily a mess I've seen before. Somewhere in your code you will likely see something that looks like " Â&nbsp" that. Sounds like you had a file saved with an editor that didn't recognize some of the symbols. Happens a lot when Easy Site Wizard pages are edited manually, and more rarely when you edit files in file manager that were created in microsoft programs. Either way a restore will likely be in order. I would suggest checking your files to see if you have any backups in there, often EasySiteWizard will create those for you. Try things like index.htm.old or index.html_old, or just check the public folder in your file manage to see what files you have in there, if you have one check it in the browser and if it looks fine rename your existing index page to index.old2 or something and you rename the backup that looks good to just index.html and you're back in business. 

If all else fails check with support and they can usually do a restore as well.

zoflora

Thanks for your quick response! I checked the html text and you were right...........but I have corrected it and it is still the same! I have since discovered its something to do with the google verification code. I am puzzled though because I added this at least a week ago and it has only caused a problem in the last 12 hours! I have since removed this and the google analytics code and all seems back to normal but I am worried this will not help my google ranking! I don't really know how best to go about making sure I am on the first page when people do a local search. Help................damsel in distress!

duskjome
BT Partner
BT Partner

On a wing and a prayer I tried a few of the various index backups for your site and it looks like http://www.harlequincakes.co.uk/index.html_old has both the site verification code and appears normal. So renaming that to index.html sould solve your problems. Not sure what about the verification code could cause this unless it was in the initial copy and paste of the code. But I think that should do it.

zoflora

Thank you! I've renamed the page and downloaded it to a file on my computer to keep a copy safe! All is well with the world again!!! I think I'm finally getting the hang of it!