cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted VoIP - good or evil?

tagfcuk

We are bombarded with companies trying to sell us VoIP solutions as an alternative to our under-used and very mature Norstar system.

So a couple of months ago we decided to consider an offer from a company we know for VoIP solution and we liked what we saw. Reduced cost, good functions, back office integration. At the same time we got the local BT reseller to come in (I know they pretend they are BT but we know 😉 ) to give us a new solution based on whatever platform they wished with no knowledge of our VoIP enquiry.

To cut a LONG story short BT proposed a new and expensive Norstar system. When we fessed up and said we were looking at a VoIP solution they came back with a cheaper hybrid solution but still based on Norstar hardware. When I said that we were pretty much 100% committed to the VoIP route I was told that BT did not do a VoIP solution as the internet was not ready yet. Which I took their for - why shouldn't I? A quick Google later and I found out to the contrary. Very odd.

Later I got a call from the manager at the BT reseller and I again stressed our preference for VoIP and he said that was not a good idea as I would need a lease line and that would be too expensive. This is for a maximium of 3 lines so I was a bit surprised at that.

So my question is? Why is my local reseller so keen to stop me going to VoIP to the point where they will not return my calls? Is is a sales thing that there is more money in a 5-year lease on some Norstar kit than they could get on a VoIP system? Do they not have faith in VoIP? Any other experiences like this?

2 REPLIES 2

SeanC
Master User

Hi Tagfcuk

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your local BTLB.

We supply 2 different types of voip services:

Hosted Voip

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9525/c/426,2348,1094,1096

and

Standard Broadband Voice

www.bt.com/business/yourbbv

Tariffs

www.bt.com/business/broadbandvoice  

The quality of Broadband Voice and Hosted Voip depends on the quality of the broadband line.

The Broadband Voice can be ordered via BT Business sales 0800 400 400

Hosted Voip from your BTLB http://www.btlocalbusiness.co.uk/ and enter your postcode for local office.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sean

pmknowles

About 18 months ago I was totally fed up with my ISDN service (it kept on faulting). Kept on getting offers from BT to change to broadband but hit the stumbling block of keeping the phone numbers - BT said I could only have one number. Did some research and discovered that I could use 3G broadband with VOIP and port the numbers over. Decided to cancel the ISDN and port the numbers. Hit so many snags with the porting - I could make calls which Caller ID showed correctly but couldn't receive them - that I ended talking to BTLB - they said that BT (well BTLB) would have done the porting and VOIP for me and all I had needed to do was change to broadband. Now back with BT but using VoipOn for the geographic number - but considering moving that over to BT - VoipOn charge £30 per year for geographic numbers (0845s are free) but you have to buy call credit - BT charge £5 per month (£60 p.a) but it includes 500 minutes a month