cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting question

davo

Just wondered If this is possible...

My brother has a domain and hosting with BT.

Is it possible to put my site on his host and then point a new domain towards it.

Well I know I can put my site In a folder of its own on his host and access it fine but is there a way to have a domain name pointed to it without affecting the root site.

Basically having two sites on one hosting package so I don't have to pay for lots of hosting space that I don't need as my site will also be a trial interest.

I got my site on virginmedia freespace(being my isp) at the moment for testing purposes.

Thanks,

Davo

17 REPLIES 17

markp
Grand Guru

Hi davo,

what you are looking to do is a websplit and this is possible with BT hosting, if you go to www.dnsforms.co.uk, you will see an option to request a websplit, if you are unsure or have more hosting questions there is an option on this site for DNS/hosting general enquiries.

Mark

davo

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you give any more information?

I'm thinking.. I purchase the domain name I want off BT then ask for it to be pointed at a designated folder on my brothers host (websplit) I've taken a look at the websplit request form and this seems to be the case.

Do you know any charges for this to be done? one-off or repeated, charges like the static IP charge.

Can I buy the domain name without hosting? The one i want shows free for 2 years with the starter host package.

I'm just trying to see whats involved and cost before going any further.

Thanks, Dave

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Davo,

there is no charge for a websplit as your brother is already paying for the hosting/webspace but you would need to buy the domain name first.

If you buy a hosting pack at £5 a month you do get a free .co.uk/org.uk, but if you purchase the hosting pack you would not need to use the webspliit as you would have your own space for your website.

You do not need to but hosting, when purchasing a domain name, you can just buy the domain.

Mark

davo

Hi Mark,

ok thats sounds like what I'm after thanks.

Buying the domain now

Thanks,

Dave

davo

Hi

Just another query...

How many websplit's can be on one hosting package? can we buy more domain names and still point them to folders on the host?

Also, I've purchased my domain name as a new user of my own would this be a problem and should I have used my brothers account for it to work with websplit?

Thanks,

Davo

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Davo,

There is no limit to how many websplits you have, but depending on what hosting package your brother has he may run out of webspace.

It does not matter that the domain and the hosting are on separate accounts, as long as you can pass authentication/security on both accounts.

Mark

davo

Thanks Mark thats cleared a few things up for me.

I was just not wanting his main site going down for any reason (as It is an active company)  just because of myself using the websplit feature.

At the moment he has a .co.uk name, I assume If he buys an extra .com, .uk etc. or whatever new domain he can point it to his root folder without using frames or url forwarding or would the root folder need duplicating as a web split?

thanks,

sorry if i'm just confusing myself now,

Davo

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Davo,

If your brother does get a new domain and wants it to point to the same website as his current one, it will not be affected as we would setup a DNS A record repoint.

Mark

davo

Hi again,

so I've filled in the websplit form and waited a couple of days and now I've received email saying:

"We have setup URL forwarding however if you would like this to be updated to FRAME forwarding please reply confirming so."

So that did not work ? Thats exactly what I dont want I've now got my domain name pointing to to my brothers domain with a folder on the end?

Also just received post from BT a bill for £1.80 Vat on the Domain purchase shame it's not added at the time I paid for it.

Dave