cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until my site is searchable via google?

Penman
Hi folks, I have just published my website this evening, and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me when I can expect it to be searchable on google by someone entering keywords? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

eShopTeam
Master User

Hello Penman,

This is very variable. It depends directly from Google. Sometime it takes a couple of weeks but it can also takes months.

Kind Regards,

The eShop Team

eShopTeam
Master User

Hello Penman,

This is very variable. It depends directly from Google. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks but it can also takes months.

Kind Regards,

The eShop Team

Penman
Hi, Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me specifically why it takes so long - in relation to months? Having a website is useless if it isn't searchable via a search engine. Surely a large company like BT can pull a few punches when it comes to serving long standing users of their services? Or maybe not?

Penman

Hi Folks,  Spoke to a very knowledgable Scottish guy at BT on the telephone, and he helped me tremendously. He really knew his stuff, and was very patient in giving me instructions on exactly what to do. I now wait in anticipation of my new site soon being searchable via google. Top marks to him. My other site is already on page 1 of google searches.

And75

Hi Penman

I too have just launched my website and am unable to find it via Google etc.  What information were you given at the contact  centre? I just assumed it would be found via the searches straight away, did they tell you how long it would take?

BPSUK

@ All

Google ' Webmaster Tools ' and subscribe (it is free)

Then give Google your Sitemap file

Google will spider your site within hours and results can take from hours to a day or two

The better your keywords, description and page content the faster you will get to the top of the page

Penman

Hi, I use the basic service that BT offers using EasysiteWizard Pro. Once I'd published my site, I clicked 'Manage xx.co.uk' , which takes you to a 'Welcome' page. On that page I clicked 'website management'. On the left I clicked 'Site Promoter'. Follow the instructions to advise search engines like google. I've just done this and mine took a week to show in google searches.

There was another thing that I did, and it is outlined by another member on the forums, but I can't find it again - woops. I'm hoping someone else will add to this thread to help. It's something like this - You google 'google webmaster tools', then verify your site by downloading a google code to 'my documents' then upload it to your bt site using tools available on your bt site. Via google webmaster tools, you then submit your site to google for them to crawl and index it. It then appears in searches after a non-specified time. The process might sound complicated, but it's really easy - when someone tells you how.

Apparently, there is no need to do any of the above because google will eventually crawl your site anyway. However, being human, I wanted to do as much as I could asap, so I submitted my site to google for verification and crawling.

There should be clear instructions provided by BT for users of their basic web hosting service, so that the likes of 'not-so-computer-literate' folks can rest assured that they have done as much as is possible to have their site indexed by search engines. By providing the basic webhosting service, bt have obviously pinpointed the fact that it is a service for which there is a demand. A step-by-step guide on the way to get your site indexed would compliment the product tremendously.

By the way, I didn't submit a site map, mainly because I didn't know how to. But for the basic webhosting service, it didn't seem to matter.

Easysite Pro is fantastic to use - so why not make it better BT, by some simple step-by-step instructions on indexing via google?