cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many public IP addesses does BT Infinity suppor...

Porterhouse_01

This is effectively the same question as my previous question ... "How many PPPoe connections does BT Infinity support" .. which apparently no-one understands or knows the answer to.

So, if I unplug the BT HH5 from the VDSL box, and plug in a simple (say 8-way) hub in its place, to give me 8-ports from the same WAN connection, then I plug in a Windows 10 PC which has a PPPoE client pre-installed as standard, then I do this again and again until the hub is full. How many PC's will get an internet connection, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ???

Of course there will be no protection from internet attacks so I don't recommend anyone do this. It's just a scenario that should work to which I need the answer. In my case I would be connecting multiple firewalls NOT 2-8 x PC's.  

This link may help people understand what I'm asking, and why:

https://www.dslextreme.com/support/kb/dsl-support/opening-multiple-pppoe-sessions

I'll give it another week.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

markp
Grand Guru

Hi there Porterhouse_01,

With any ineternet conenction you will have 1 device that does the PPoE authenication for the line, then you can connect as many devices behind this that the DHCP IP range will allow.  If you are installing different firewalls and each one needs its own public facing IP, we can provide you with 5 or 13 publuc static IPs for the connection.  Or if you just need the 1 static IP this will go to the device doing the PPPoE authentication and you can then port forward onto the firewalls.

I hope this makes sense?

Mark

Porterhouse_01

Thanks 'markp', but just to clarify, yes of course I understand that the normal modus operandi is to connect one router to the DSL, which gets the public IP address but then NATs any number of devices behind it to this one address, but I'm wanting to connect two devices directly to the DSL via a hub, and I don't need or want static IP's for either as I'm proposing to use a DDNS to resolve the NAME-IP for both. 

You say 'we can allocate' static IP's - who is we please ?

If 'we' can allocate 5-13x static IP's then presumably DSL can handle 5-13 public IPs, simultaneously, within it's bandwidth limitations.

But so far I haven't found ANYONE in BT who even undertsands what PPPoE is or what the design limitations of Infinity are. I'd like to clarify my issues BEFORE I get Infinity installed, not than afterwards.  

The last BT technical 'agent' I spoke to (on the phone) actually referred me to THIS FORUM to get my Q's answered.

And so far, it hasn't entirely, although I think I may finally be getting close to an answer, with your help

Thanks 

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Porterhouse_01

With any conenction, you can only have 1 device doing the authentication (PPPoE or PPPoA), if you want to have more than once device doing the authentication (PPPoE or PPPoA) you would need more than 1 line, 1 device on each line