cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with receiving credit/debit card payments

Helizabeth

Hi there,

I want to offer my customers a choice in how they pay - ideally a choice between Paypal and a credit/debit card payment.

With the basic Paypal option I selected, it does not seem to allow 'guest' payments where people can pay with their card without a paypal account. Not a problem, I thought - I'll add the 'Credit card, manual' option to the checkout.

However, I cannot find out how to link this card option with my own bank/paypal account to actually receive a payment. I can find nothing at all in the help pages, so I'm assuming this must be something really simple that I am missing.

When I ran a test payment on a test product, the order went through without a problem but showed no payment received, nor any way of collecting the payment. It did show the full card details on the order page, as I expected, so the information is being captured.

Payments made with a Paypal account go through without a problem.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer - trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong has been driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Helen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Helizabeth

Problem (potentially) solved!

The 'Credit card, manual' option is not so people can manually enter their card details rather than paying through a Paypal account or similar - the option is only relevant if you have a PDQ / Credit card processing machine as used in brick and mortar shops.

How foolish do I feel.

I was advised to look at using Paypal Pro to accept credit/debit card transactions, which has a £20 per month subscription fee, even though the 'Paypal Website Payments Standard' package I already have should offer this facility with no subscription charge (according to the direct comparison between the two products on Paypal's own site).

Even though it took 30 mins of being on hold (on an 0845 number - my mobile phone bill will be interesting...!), I was really pleased with the service the BT advisors provided - they were really helpful and to the point.

Hope this helps if anyone else has similar issues,

Helen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Helizabeth

Problem (potentially) solved!

The 'Credit card, manual' option is not so people can manually enter their card details rather than paying through a Paypal account or similar - the option is only relevant if you have a PDQ / Credit card processing machine as used in brick and mortar shops.

How foolish do I feel.

I was advised to look at using Paypal Pro to accept credit/debit card transactions, which has a £20 per month subscription fee, even though the 'Paypal Website Payments Standard' package I already have should offer this facility with no subscription charge (according to the direct comparison between the two products on Paypal's own site).

Even though it took 30 mins of being on hold (on an 0845 number - my mobile phone bill will be interesting...!), I was really pleased with the service the BT advisors provided - they were really helpful and to the point.

Hope this helps if anyone else has similar issues,

Helen

Peter_G
Power User

Helen

I was a bit concerned by your remarks about the 'Paypal Website Payments Standard' not being able to process card payments from customers without Paypal accounts, since I have been using precisely this package in my eShop for some time.  So, this morning, I carried out a test purchase on my website, using Paypal as the payment selection.  As I expected, when transferred to the Paypal site, I was given the choice to process the payment through a Paypal account or to use a card if I didn't have a Paypal account, just as advertised.

Do you not get this choice when you carry out your test purchase?

By the way, don't be concerned about asking what you think might turn out to be a foolish question.  We have all done it and still do it - and you would be amazed how many times others are facing exactly the same problem as you, but didn't make the effort to ask.

Regards

Peter

www.qgifts.co.uk

Helizabeth

Hello Peter,

I am also a bit concerned by it! When I (or my friends) purchase a test product, it gives no option to enter card details, only to log in to a Paypal account.

The main problem I have I think is that in the 'Delivery and Payment' settings, whilst I have Paypal set as my default, in the 'Type' column it states 'Website Payments Pro Hosted Solution'.

Nowhere can I find 'Website Payments Standard', which is what I believed I had entered initially. I do not currently pay a subscription fee, and have at no time been asked to by Paypal.

Do you have any ideas? If not, don't worry. I'm sure I'll get there in the end!

All in all, I am very frustrated! I will keep at it though, and if I have a breakthrough I will add the details to this thread - hopefully if I find a solution it may prevent someone else having the same experience!

Thanks for replying - much appreciated.

Helen

Peter_G
Power User

Helen

I've moved from 'concerned' to 'perplexed.'

In eShop, my Paypal payment method type is also set as 'Website Payments Pro Hosted Solution.'

In my Paypal account, my account type is 'Business' and payment solution is 'Website Payments Standard.'  I do not pay any monthly fees, just the transaction fees.

As far as I can tell, this is exactly the same setup as yours and yet mine works fine in offering the card option to non-Paypal customers.  I honestly can't remember setting up my Paypal account or linking it to my eShop, other than I think I set up my Paypal account independently of, and prior to, setting up eShop.

I don't suppose the above is of much help other than to confirm that you seem to have everything set up correctly.  Good luck with your investigations.

Regards

Peter

www.qgifts.co.uk

Helizabeth

Hi Peter,

Thank you for confirming that I have set everything up in such a way that should work! While it's still frustrating not knowing why things are not working for me at the moment, it did prompt me to phone the helpdesk again sooner rather than later (after going over the whole setup again multiple times).

I'm still waiting for a phone call from the BT eShop tech team (which I was told would be made yesterday morning), having been told that from what they can see, I do indeed have the correct setup in place. So it's just a case of wait and see for now! I will of course keep the thread updated in the hope I can save someone else the hassle I've had.

Thanks again for your response,

Helen