cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't import email contacts

estylingerie
I have many email addresses that I am trying to import to my newsletter. I realise only 1000 can be added to any newsletter so am not trying to add more than this. I have created a text file (in Notepad - have also tried with html, CSV and Excel files but nothing works) using exactly the format specified. I have tried all 3 format options given. When I click on import it starts to process but then gives me an error saying that the file was either not a text file or in the incorrect format.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

graemewilliams
Super User

Hello again

I've had to do something very similar in the past. The way I did it (going from memory) was something like this:

1. Create new Customer Group for external email addresses. This allows for easier management later from within eshop. If you have more than 1,000 addresses then create more than one Customer Group. Go to Customers > Customer Groups.

2. Manually create one Customer record in new Customer Group.

3. Export Customers. Go to Customers > Import/Export. Select Unicode coding and Semi-colon delimiter.

4. Open export file in spreadsheet program (e.g. Excel). Keep Column titles row and manually created Customer record. Delete all other rows. You should have a file with just two rows only.

5. Open up your external email database in a different Excel file. Copy selected records to file created in 4. It should be easy to follow column titles so that data goes in the correct place. Make sure you copy Customer Group to all new email records that you create.

6. Save file as CSV.

7. Import new file to eshop. Go to Customers > Import/Export. Select Unicode coding and Semi-colon delimiter.

8. In Newsletter you can select the Customer Group under Add Addresses. The Customer Group is in eshop for future use without having to import again each time.

Depends on how (if) you are currently using Customer Groups but should work.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.rikkismusic.com
www.epagesdesign.wordpress.com - Tutorials, Tips & Ideas on ePages Ecommerce software.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

graemewilliams
Super User

Hello again

I've had to do something very similar in the past. The way I did it (going from memory) was something like this:

1. Create new Customer Group for external email addresses. This allows for easier management later from within eshop. If you have more than 1,000 addresses then create more than one Customer Group. Go to Customers > Customer Groups.

2. Manually create one Customer record in new Customer Group.

3. Export Customers. Go to Customers > Import/Export. Select Unicode coding and Semi-colon delimiter.

4. Open export file in spreadsheet program (e.g. Excel). Keep Column titles row and manually created Customer record. Delete all other rows. You should have a file with just two rows only.

5. Open up your external email database in a different Excel file. Copy selected records to file created in 4. It should be easy to follow column titles so that data goes in the correct place. Make sure you copy Customer Group to all new email records that you create.

6. Save file as CSV.

7. Import new file to eshop. Go to Customers > Import/Export. Select Unicode coding and Semi-colon delimiter.

8. In Newsletter you can select the Customer Group under Add Addresses. The Customer Group is in eshop for future use without having to import again each time.

Depends on how (if) you are currently using Customer Groups but should work.

--------------------------------------------------------------
www.rikkismusic.com
www.epagesdesign.wordpress.com - Tutorials, Tips & Ideas on ePages Ecommerce software.