cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN and static IP devices cannot communicate; Business Hub 3.0

CentralConveyor

Happy 2015 everybody 🙂

I recently paid for static IP addresses to use on my network. This was to allow several "servers" to be accessible from the internet.

As soon as I did this, the "server" on the new Static IP address became innacessible from devices on the main LAN.

Similarly the "server", now proudly boasting its new static "217.xxx" address, could no longer communicate with devices on the LAN.

By "communicate", I mean that they dissapeared from each others network neighbourhood, could not browse to one anothers shares (even when forced by directly typing the UNC in), nor even PING one another.

This is a BIG deal for me as far as BT is concerned. The server MUST be able to see LAN shares in order to fulfill its backup role.

In addition, a second Static IP device - a hard disk recorder - is pingeable from the internet, but refuses to respond to HTTP calls. (it has a web interface). When I turn the Business Hub 3.0 firewall off, it works. It stops working as soon as the firewall is turned back on. Port forwarding for HTTP and HTTPS has been enabled to the device.

Can anyone offer any advice ?

Configuration summary:

BT HomeHub 3.0

Lan port 1: "Server" - a windows 7 Pro machine with various shares on it. Static IP 217.xxx.yyy.26, as configured through Businesshub 3.0

Lan port 2: The DVR. Static IP 217.xxx.yyy.25, as configured through Business Hub 3.0

Lan port 3: feed to a hub. 192.168.0.X network, as per DHCP settings on Homehub 3.0

Hub - distributs to 5 PC's, all running Windows 7 Pro.

Static IP device unable to communicate with 192.168.x.y devices. (worked previously), even at PING level.

2 REPLIES 2

ROJones

This might be a DNS or a routing issue. How far do you get when you try to run "tracert 217.x.y.26" in a DOS terminal from one of your 192.168.x.y devices? Do you get as far as the BT hub or onto the WAN?

I'm not sure about your setup (never used static addresses) but I'd thought that you'd need to give your Server and DVR a 192.168.x.y IP address so that they are in the same sub-net as the rest of your LAN. Your BT hub then port-forwards WAN connections to 217.x.y.26 to the correct LAN IP address for your server (ditto the DVR)? Not sure how you'd get both 217.x.y.25 and 217.x.y.26 to point to your BT hub and (potentially) use the same ports, though.

Hope this helps,

ROJ

Burkem5
Guru

Hi @CentralConveyor 

"As soon as I did this, the "server" on the new Static IP address became innacessible from devices on the main LAN.

Similarly the "server", now proudly boasting its new static "217.xxx" address, could no longer communicate with devices on the LAN."

Does the server have 2 network interfece cards?   As the hub 3 will only apply a single IP address (either WAN or LAN) if you have two NIC's on the server you could have one hard set to the local IP and the other hard set to the WAN IP.

"In addition, a second Static IP device - a hard disk recorder - is pingeable from the internet, but refuses to respond to HTTP calls. (it has a web interface). When I turn the Business Hub 3.0 firewall off, it works. It stops working as soon as the firewall is turned back on. Port forwarding for HTTP and HTTPS has been enabled to the device."

As far as i can see there must be another port the device requires to be open, as placing the device in DMZ removes the firewall and allows this to work.

Can you check the device interface and see which ports have been set in the device as required?   As there may be some obscure port set in the device which is needed.

Hope this helps

Burkem5