cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major problems using " & " in Page Summary and Keywords

BirdBrayn

HELP!!!

From looking at the Source Code on my live website and from the Website Reports and Analyzers that I've run past my website, I've discovered that wherever I have used an ampersand (&) in my Page Summaries and Keywords, it has acquired "amp;" or "amp;amp;amp;" immediately after it. And therefore, the search engines don't like it and are probably bypassing my website as we speak!!

I have gone back in to edit my site (EasyWizardPro) and deleted all the offending "amp;"s, only to go back in five minutes later to find they have grown again!

This is very detrimental to my site ever being accepted by the Search Engines - so what do I do to get rid of them.  I need to use the "&" sign for Keyword & Summary strings such as: Bed & Breakfast, B&B, etc etc.

Anyone ever had this problem??

Hope you can help me ....

BirdBrayn

3 REPLIES 3

duskjome
BT Partner
BT Partner

This is related to the way Easy Site Wizard is reading the code for the page summary/keywords, have you tried using the word "and" rather than the symbol "&", that should work.

BirdBrayn

Hi Duskjome,

Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question. 

I might have guessed it's the Easy Site Wizard software causing a problem again! 

I am a real beginner at all this keyword stuff, perhaps you know the answer to this:-  if I don't have "B&B" and only have "BandB" in my keywords, doesn't that mean that anyone typing "B&B" into their search box, the search engine will discard my website because I only have "BandB" in my keywords????  Or are search engines "intelligent" and read "&" as "and" and vice-versa??  If the latter, then I can afford to leave out the "&", but don't know what to do if not.

Thanks,

BirdBrayn

duskjome
BT Partner
BT Partner

The actual search engine may be able to answer this better than I but from a cursory inspection it does not appear that they do. You may be able to go into the code itself and add this character there. From what I'm told they can recognize the characer it you use both "bandb" and "b&b" it will add the ;amp code but that is fine, it is the way the search engines read the code. Give that a try and it should work.