cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Name Keywords

martin86
Master User

Hi Everyone

Help needed please on my keywords, quite simply when I put in my keywords are there any basic rules to follow for dummies, I was always told it should be single words followed by a comma and then a space, was then told I could put in what people are searching for, so what one is correct in the following:

"butlins, holiday, camp, skegness, lincolnshire, self, catering, holidays"
"butlins holiday camp, skegness, lincolnshire, self catering holidays"

Also is there any real idea when keywords stop being found, obviously the list should not be never ending, but is there a basic guide to how many keywords should be used per page.

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Sogo7
Grand Master

<meta name="keywords" content="keyword, keyword, keyword phrase, eat at joes">

Meta keywords tags should adhere to the following guidelines:

(1) keep your list of keywords or keyword phrases down to 10 - 15 unique words or phrases;

(2) separate the words or phrases using a comma (you do not need to leave a space between words separated by commas);

(3) do not repeat words or phrases;

(4) put your most important word or phrases at the beginning of your list.

Google does still use them but does not pay a lot of attention to the meta tags because they could be wrong and instead reads the text content of the page trying to figure them out for itself.

Lovelogic.net UK Jobs Scanner

LordDave

Hi Martin

All Sogo7 said is correct, also make sure your robot.txt file only directs the bots to the pages you want them on or they'll grab any text they find across your site.

If its for SEO its an idea to register your web site with google and submit a site map. Hope this helps