cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Network Card Question

silas2

I've got a Pc which has both a ethernet card and a wireless dongle used at different times. 

In the setup for the 2Wire.com router I get the PC name listed twice ,once for each network card, understanable in a way I suppose as they have different identities on the LAN. But, when I'm making settings for the PC in the setup, I don't know which one I'm making the setting for - the PC name is just listed. How should I be doing this?

2 REPLIES 2

markp
Grand Guru

Hi silas2,

When you view what devices are connected to the hub, it will show you what the IP adddress is and what the MAC address is for the network card.  In the propepties for each network card it will tell you what the MAC address is. If you take a note of these addresses, you will be able to tell the 2 apart in the router.  Hope this helps.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

silas2

Thanks for getting back to me. On my router setup screen, I click 'Settings->LAN' I can see multiple entries with the different MAC addresses for the different cards for the same PC, but when I go 'Settings->Firewall->Apps/Pinholes/DMZ' I see just a list of PC names with the same PC name repeated but without saying which card/MAC address? (2wire.com setup) , how do I know which one I'm making settings for?