cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phising - nearly fell for it!

minalo1

Just a heads up about this phising e-mail, it came at a very opportune timing and I nearly fell for it as we are currently upgrading.

Purposely deleted first part of the link so should not work!

Then kept to my rule - REMEMBER NO ONE ASKS FOR YOUR PASSWORD IN AN EMAIL

Scraped below from BT web site  

"Keeping your personal details safe online

Fraudsters will always be on the look out for ways of getting access to your personal information - it's valuable and can be used for identity theft.

The easiest way to get your details is through a scam email. This is called phishing, which is an attempt to trick you into giving your account, banking, log in, password or other sensitive information.

The emails will look like they've been sent from us, your bank or an online service you use and will ask you to reply with your account details, or to click a link to a website, to enter them.

We'll never send you emails asking for your account, password or log in details."

Sent: 29 November 2012 20:10
Subject: BT Online Application Experience!

Dear BT User,

From 30/11/2012, you'll be getting an even better email service. you'll have the latest technology behind you. That includes more protection from viruses. And you'll get a bigger mailbox too.

We are excited to bring you BT technology, a new Email and Online Application Experience! Powered by Google, BT gives you many benefits including:

Over 7GB of storage space more!
An Enhanced Online Email Interface
Online capabilities to create and edit documents, spreadsheets and presentations
Online Calendar for easy schedule organization These features (and more) are available to BT at no additional cost!

To re-validate your mailbox click The link and login to your account.

Failure to follow these instructions will result in permanent deactivation of your account.

Thanks for choosing our new BT business Account.

Admin
Gareth Hughes
Managing Director  BT 
Copyright © 2012 BT Business Services, Inc. All rights reserved.
NOTICE:Use of this webmail service is covered by the BT By using this service you agree to the said terms and conditions.

2 REPLIES 2

Burkem5
Guru

these sort of attaks have been happening more and more frequently and i am sorry that you have been affected by this 

if you forward this email to abuse@bt.com we will do all we can to shut down the account that has been spamming you

and you are right that Bt wil never ever ever ask you for your password on any communication 

212-104

I have been getting quite a few phising messages on my account. Most of these fake messages contain a link which ,of course, I never click. However, I do run my curser over the link to see if the convincing "BT" link address is matched by the one appearing  at the bottom of the screen  which i assume is the real address behind the link. I got a"BT" message this morning but the real address began "boyswithaknife" !!. I am not sure if all browser  configurations give this useful facility or even if the phisers can get around it. 

John Groome