cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Apple Remote Desktop on BT 2700HGV Router

bjckmore

Hi,

I have 6 iMACs, 1 PC, 1 Printer, and 1 Windows 2003 Server. These are all sitting behind a BT 2700HGV router. We have 5 IP addresses from BT, in a range 81.172.x.249-254 subnet 255.255.255.248. We would like to be able to access 4 of the iMACs via Apple Remote Desktop externally, as well as publish a web site running on the Windows 2003 server. The internal network is 192.168.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0.

Current setup:
6 iMACs
1 PC (Win XP)
1 Server (Win 2003)
1 Lexmark Printer
All connected to a 16 port switch.
Internal IP Address 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.20 GW 192.168.1.254

With all of the iMACs, printer & server using an internal IP address, they can all access the files on the server and can print to the printer. I have been able to publish the website on the server by giving one of the 2 NICs that are in the server one of the external IP addresses, then used the WAN IP Mapping page of the BT 2700HGV to forward the traffic to the external IP on the server.

However, the iMACs only have 1 NIC, so I am unable to assign them an internal & external IP address. If I assign them an external IP address, they are unable to access the server, and can't print. If I assign them an internal IP address, I can't seem to setup NAT/port forwarding to allow external access via Apple Remote Desktop. When I try to point one of the external IP addresses, to an internal IP address, in the WAN IP Mapping page, I get an error saying: "Errors: For the public routed subinterface only wan IP mapping is allowed."

How can I get the iMACs, PC, printer and server to be able to communicate with each other using an internal IP address, while allowing the iMACs to be accessable via the external public IP addresses?

I've done this before using other types of routers, such as Draytek 2820, where you assign the external IP addresses to the routers WAN port, then using port forwarding/firewall rules, map those external IP addresses & ports to the internal IP addresses & ports. Then as the workstations only have an internal IP, they can all communicate with each other & print to the printer without issue!

Any help would be appreciated!

Ben

0 REPLIES 0