cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems after upgrade to BT Business Total Broadband Option 2 ADSL2 Next Gen

ciaran77
Power User

I was migrated to "BT Business Total Broadband Option 2 ADSL2 Next Gen" from my old 8mb BT business broadband about 4 weeks ago, and have had speed issues ever since.

I use a Linksys WAG54GS router, with Firmware Version: V1.01.03 (latest), hard wired into my main PC.  After the switchover to ADSL2 my router reported a 20mb circuit, and download tests showed 17.5mb consistently for 3 days. Great stuff I thought! I made no changes to my router settings.

After the third day, speed/throughput dropped to 0.5mb, and the router showed a 2mb circuit. I reset my router, and got the same result. Eventually I got a 6.6mb connection, with about 5mb download speeds.

Then called BT support, they arranged for an engineer visit, he didn't show, called tech support who appologised for not logging the callout properly and rearranged the visit for last week. Engineer didn't show again, spoke to a supervisor and went through the history, she seemed to think it might be my end and cancelled the engineer visit. I replaced my master socket and builtin filter (over ten years old) and agreed to a reset of the line and see what happens over the new 10 days. After a few more calls they eventually reset the line, and I could get a 17mb connection for the first time in weeks, but throughput is still 5mb max.

My router settings are:

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPoA

Multiplexing:  VC

QoS Type: UBR

VPI =0, VCI =38

DSL Modulation: Multimode

MTU = auto (1500) I tried to manually set to 1400 (Linksys recomended setting), but couldn't get to a lot of web sites for some reason.

And that's how it's been for the past few days. I can get a 17mb connection, but get no more than 5mb download speeds. Before the switch to ADSL2, I was getting 7.5mb downloads consistently. After the swicth I did get 17.5mb downloads for 3 days.

Something just doesn't addup and I'm at a loss as to what to try next, any suggestions?

Here's my results from the BT speed tester:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4998 Kbps
  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
  Additional Information:
  Your DSL Connection Rate :17105 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1215 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
  IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1000 Kbps
  Additional Information:
  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1203 Kbps

8 REPLIES 8

Tracey
Guru

Hi ciaran77,

Sorry for the issues you have been having with the connection.

I have checked the open case with our Technical team, I can see that you have called to speak to the team on Monday, however I can see that you are due to have a call back on the 17th?

Thanks

Tracey

BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

ciaran77
Power User

Yes, I had to call several times to push to get the reset actioned.  Jude confirmed it would be done last week, but from my end nothing seemed to have happened, so I called again on Monday and the reset got actioned. I am happy it got reset on Monday because my router finally started getting better circuit speeds than 6.6mb, I can now see it negotiate the best rate, it wasn't doing that before, it just connected at 6.6mb.

Download speed seems a bit better today, 7.5mb, so maybe it's finally been set correctly and now it's in the settling down 10 day period? I presume call back on 17th is to check after 10 days from the reset.

Is there anything in my router settings that doesn't look right?

VPI =0, VCI =38

MTU = auto (1500) I tried to manually set to 1400 (Linksys recomended setting), but couldn't get to a lot of web sites for some reason.

ciaran77
Power User

Is there anything in my router settings that doesn't look right?

VPI =0, VCI =38

Tracey
Guru
Hi Ciaran77, As far a I can see with the settings. They all appear to be fine. Thanks Tracey BT Business Forum Moderator

If you like a post please click on the star image on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other Forum members know by clicking on Accept as Solution on the right-hand side of the answer post. Please also consider replying to the post stating that your question has been answered successfully.

ciaran77
Power User

after a considerable wait, 3 weeks after my profile was reset, I am finally getting a 17mb circuit. I resisted making any changes whatsoever on my router and didn't restart it over the 3 weeks.

ciaran77
Power User

update a week later........ after settling on 17mb connected circuit last week (downloads were still 7.5mb), and after a weekend when my local exchange had issues and took the service down last night, I'm finally getting 14.6mb downloads. So the issue seems not to have been at my end afterall, it took a major incident at the local exchange to sort my speed out. lets see how things are in a week........

ciaran77
Power User

3 days in and still getting 14.6 downloads.....once I get over 10 days @ 14.6 I'll be happy and close this, just wanted to show others my experience and how long it can take to settle down after the regrade to ADSL2 NG........

ciaran77
Power User

another week has passed, had 13.6mbps for past week so it's settled on that and my service has been stable for 3 weeks.