cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SMTP not routing to exchange server (port 25 blocked)

WilsonMo

I'm posting in this thread because it comes up first on Google, in case others find it useful.  Its a solution to the "my email has stopped sending when I'm travelling" problem

This applies where you 've taken your computer overseas (or to someone elses house) and find that your email client stops sending email.  It still receives OK but you get an error message when it tries to send.

The problem (probably) is that your local IPS (the company that connects you from your new locale to the Internet) is blocking outgoing traffic to smtp.btconnect.com - and probably everyone else's smtp server.

The solution is to use the smtp server of the local service provider. 

To do this

a)  Find out your service provider (ISP) for your local connection - websites can help you - try googling "who is my isp".  At the time of posting spyber.com was working.

b)  Guess or find out the smtp server address for this ISP.  E.g. if your ISP is bell.ca then guess their smtp server is smtp.bell.ca

c)  Adjust your outgoing mail server to this smtp.   Most ISPs dont require authentication if the mail is coming from an IP address it has issued.

Obviously when you get home (or change location) you need to change the smtp server again.

Hope this helps

0 REPLIES 0