cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieve but not send via outlook 2007 (0x80042109) cant connect outgoing smtp

theconsultant

Hello.

In a nutshell: i can receive emails but not send them from my BT alias using outlook 2007 on vista – reported error (0x80042109): ‘Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server....’

I am working on a website for a client who has been purchased her bt hosting a while back she is using BT webhosting trade and business essentials with 10 business email lite accounts. Her business website is hosted by BT, and is using her own domain name to sell these under. I noticed she was using a yahoo email account to contact customers and for sales receipts to be sent to,  i suggested using her own domain email would look better from a customer viewpoint. Which is where the trouble began!

By way of example her domain is www.theconsultant.com and her bt account is theconsultant@btconnect.com

I tried to setup and test her email account on my home pc. i use vista and outlook 2007 which I ‘ve setup to load up my gmail and other domain mails. My ISP is Be* Internet and my virus protection / software firewall is mcaffe. The account can send and receive mails via outlook web access

I’ve set up an email address for her linking it to her bt alias so <Name>@theconsultant.com is pointing to <Name>@btconnect.com

and setup the outlook profile with the following

Your Name : the consultant

Email address: <Name>@theconsultant.com

Account type: pop3

Incoming mail server: pop3.btconnect.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.btconnect.com

Username: <Name>@btconnect.com

In the outgoing server tab i’ve ticked outgoing server (SMTP requires authentification and highlighted the radial button to use same settings as my incoming server.

In the advanced tab, I’ve set the incoming server (POP3) to 110 and the outgoing server (SMTP) to 25

I’ve spent an hour or two change every configuration i can think of to no avail. Messages arrive inbound but messages sent remain in the outbox with the eventual error message.

I’ve tried changing the the username and email variations, changed the outgoing server port to 587,  adding log on details in the outgoing server tab.  I’ve been quite methodical in checking and unchecking all options, including opening ports and turning off my firewall, pinging the smtp address and using as an alternative thunderbird email client.. From past experience i know that the test account setting button is key if it pasts both checks to log on to an incoming server and send a test message. Login on is no problem, sending a test message is not possible and the  key issue.

I also tried to set up the email address on my clients computer running xp and outlook 2007 ( i presume they have a BT broadband connection). Same problem, although admittedly i did not run through a whole range of checks

This is quite frustrating as outlook has more functionality and is required more that outlook web access. Setting up email accounts with other isps and websites is quite frankly simplicity ( i.e less then 2minutes!).  I have a background in IT and find the whole BT package setup and method of websites / email quite baffling and after 2 hours im admitting defeat!

Can anyone provide a solution?  I’d rather not upgrade the package to use IMAP ( can’t believe this is an extra cost, its standard everywhere else!)  With no guarantee that it would definitely work.

Useful suggestions/ options would be most welcome

Message Edited by the forum Moderator, removed email address to try and prevent Spam mail being sent to it.

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

I think your problem is fairly simple, and is nothing to do directly with BT.

You said that you are on Be Internet in the original post, not a BT connection.  Also you cannot telnet port 25.

This means that Be Internet must be blocking port 25.

587 won't work with the BT servers because they only use port 25.

Also the same thing for your friend on O2 by the way.

Not exactly BT's fault that some ISPs have decided to block a port that the entire world was using for years and most still are, even if it is for right and just reasons.

Cheers.

Dave A

p.s. Googling the error code would have given you a bunch of links about port 25 blocks.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

You could look at the help and support to see if there is any help there.

The username should only be the start of the BTConnect email address, so just the <Name> not <Name>@btconnect.com.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there, 

Also try removing the outgoing server authentication as this can cause problems, escpecially if you are connected to a BT broadband line. 

If this doesn't work try telnetting the server.  Go to start > run and type telnet.  Then type 'open smtp.btconnect.com 25' and hit enter.  You should get a welcome message.  Type 'helo test' and let me know if it says 'pleased to meet you'. 

If it's vista then you need to install telnet from add remove programs, go to control panel > programs and settings > install windows components and check telnet client in the list.  This will install telnet and you can go to start and type telnet into the search box at the bottom. (it takes ages to install) 

Thanks

theconsultant

I've tried looking at help and support,  there nothing there giving me any help, i did try your as part of my general testing trying both with the full address and without still nothing.

theconsultant

Spank  I tried telnet no joy

Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client
Escape Character is 'CTRL+]'
Microsoft Telnet> open smtp.btconnect.com 25
Connecting To smtp.btconnect.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet> open smtp.btconnect.com 587
Connecting To smtp.btconnect.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 587: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>
Doing the same for open pop3.btconnect.com 110 gives me a response
+OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 POP3 server version 6.5.7638.1 (hepp02uker.he.local) ready.
pop seems reachable smtp does not

thanks for your help so far, do you have any other suggestions to workaround this?

as an aside, I have another client who is using 02 mobile broadband. her website is hosted at heart internet, she has the same problem ie. can recive but not send via outlook - webmail is fine.

Have BT somehow locked down their smtp port addresses? so you can only download if you're a bt broadband customer?

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

I think your problem is fairly simple, and is nothing to do directly with BT.

You said that you are on Be Internet in the original post, not a BT connection.  Also you cannot telnet port 25.

This means that Be Internet must be blocking port 25.

587 won't work with the BT servers because they only use port 25.

Also the same thing for your friend on O2 by the way.

Not exactly BT's fault that some ISPs have decided to block a port that the entire world was using for years and most still are, even if it is for right and just reasons.

Cheers.

Dave A

p.s. Googling the error code would have given you a bunch of links about port 25 blocks.

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

Yep, port 25 blocked for that ISP, heres an extract from the t's and c's

• Comply with these Terms (and if you opt to use our optional email and webhosting services, with the additional terms and conditions which apply in addition to these Terms (see link)) and any reasonable instructions Be gives you. Use of our optional email and webhosting services means that you will be required to use our standard network settings (which includes a block on Port 25 while assigned to our SMTP server). This can only be removed if you are eligible and you choose to receive our static IP option which enables you to use an alternative server.
  •  

So call them up and ask for a static IP seems to be the fix.

Tha same with O2 unfortunatelly, however, they don't seem to be as easy to please.  There are several forum threads about it, search for 'O2 port 25 block' in google.

Thanks

theconsultant

Oldwolf / Spank

Thanks for your help. This makes sense as a root cause and why i was having difficulties replicating the issue on different machines using different ISP's!

What a pain! Such a major business function to use outlook for mails and the fact that you can't access it as normal is hidden in the fine print. There seems to be a whole load of people having the same issues with no idea what's causing it, probably tearing their hair out!

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting the root cause, I can work around this.

OldWolf
    Guru

Hi,

Yeah there are a number of ISPs who do things like block port 25 without telling anyone, and then deny they do it.

First time I've seen an ISP have it in their T&Cs tho.

Glad to have been able to help tho.

Cheers.

Dave A

VM

Hi

I am working at the 3rd party company & their router Blocks SMTP Port 25, I am therefore unable to send any mail’s via OutLook (most irritating). I have managed to change get my Yahoo (BT Internet) Mail working by changing the SMTP Port to 587, but I am unable to get my btconnect email to work (receiving is fine).

I have tried getting the company to unblock Port 25, but I don’t think the young IT lads even know how to do it (they can find the password for the router)? The connection is open without a password therefore someone has put in the restriction for a reason. The webmail is too restrictive for my needs therefore is there someone that have help me with a solution to be able to send email without having to use SMTP Port 25?

Many thanks