cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Authentication Problem with Thunderbird

SimonL

I've found an interesting problem.......

I've a laptop setup with Mozilla Thunderbird as the email client.   This is configured to use SMTP Authentication for sending outbound emails as it may be connected to a non-BT network (when at home).

This all worked fine when using Thunderbird V2, but since upgrading to V3, I'm receiving an error message when sending saying 'Unable to authenticate to SMTP server smtp.btconnect.com   The server does not support authentication (SMTP-AUTH) but you have chosen to use authentication' 

This occurs when I'm connected to a BT network.   Reconfiguring Thunderbird to not use SMTP authentication fixes the problem and the message is sent okay.

I've read in Thunderbird forums that V3 of Thunderbird added extra checking to SMTP authentication and reports an error if Authentication is specified but not required.   Whereas V2 of Thunderbird just ignored this.

I suspect when I take the laptop home and try to send a message on a non-BT network that it will fail until I re-enable SMTP authentication in Thunderbird.

Is it correct that when connected to a BT network the BT SMTP servers report some kind of error when an authenticated SMTP connection is made.   But when connected to a non-BT network they don't and require it to be authenticated ?

I'm struggling to think of a way to configure my email client so it works in the office and at home without having to change the setting each time it's moved.  

I could always try downgrading to Thunderbird V2 (if it will allow it).

But any other suggestions would be appreciated !

2 REPLIES 2

spank
Grand Guru

Is it correct that when connected to a BT network the BT SMTP servers report some kind of error when an authenticated SMTP connection is made.   But when connected to a non-BT network they don't and require it to be authenticated ?

This does seem to be the case, I've seen it happen with some outlook clients as well and there is no way around it as of yet.  I thought it was a microsoft problem but obviously that's not the case.  It must be something to do with BTConnect servers...

Bobfm

Introducing a new system that is worse than the old, that's clever of BT, don't they think these things through. Why are we always forced to use Microsoft by big compnaies.