cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to outgoing SMTP server. Error No. 0x800cc0e using smtp.btconnect.com on O2 ISP

wigmorepumps

Hello.  I thought I'd post the/a solution to my btconnect.com SMTP out going mail server problems.

Just recently I have be unable to send mail via Outlook (using XP Pro Microsoft OS).  I had not (deliberately) changed any settings or my firewall program/supplier but all of a sudden receiving mail was fine but sending mail was impossible.

I googled the problem and found this seemed to be a common fault.  I searched BT's website and saw numerous references to the problem.

I think I tried just about every solution offered BUT NOTHING WORKED, and I mean nothing!!

For example I tried:

• Outlook Express
  • Thunderbird
  • Windows Mail (from Windows Live)
  • BT's Email configuration and one click fixes pages/programs
  • smtp.btconnect with or without authentication
  • mail.btconnect with or without authentication
  • I changed ports
  • I changed time-outs
  • ect,ect,ect........

I tried every single variation of a theme I could find (even the various ones by SPANK).

NOTHING WORKED

After getting very annoyed & frustrated I approached the problem rationally. 

Even though my btconnect.com account was set up years ago and I have been through many ISPs since BT, my email accounts have always worked fine.

However, I have recently changed my ISP again, this time to O2.

I figured that this was the problem - I DO NOT definitively know if it is – but I thought it was a good starting point. [NOTE, at first (with O2) my email, sending and receiving worked fine].

When you set up an account with O2 they give you an email address by default, I'm certain this is the case for any ISP.

I have never used my O2 email account because even all my O2 details get sent to my btconnect.com account.

However, I have now setup my Outlook email program using a combination of the two accounts and everything now works fine.

My incoming mail server is - pop3.btconnect.com

My outgoing mail server is – mail.o2.co.uk  (if you have a different ISP than O2, google your ISP to find out their outgoing mail server address)

Then set up your Incoming Mail Server Account Name as youremailaddress@btconnect.com and enter your Password and check the Remember Password box 

In the Out Going Mail Server section check the My server requires authentication box and click Settings....

In the setting screen, by default it uses Use same setting as my incoming mail server.

DO NOT USE THIS

Click Log on using and the greyed out boxes will become white.

Enter your new ISP email details.

i.e.

Account Name: youremailaddress@o2.co.uk

Password: XXXXXX (your O2 password when you set up your ISP service)

Then check Remember Password.

DO NOT check Log on using Secure Password Authentication.Smiley Surprised

Click OK, then click APPLY and then Close /or/ OK

People who receive your email will still see your btconnect.com email address, all you are doing is using your new ISP servers to send your btconnect.com email, a bit like Royal Mail still delivering mail sent by other postal companies.

I don't know if BT have deliberately stopped hosting/serving mail sent via another ISPs networks but I guess BT are a business and not a charity/public service provider so it would make sense if they have, from a 'capitalist' business perspective that is.

I hope this works for others, and a special mention to SPANK, ALASTAIR, DAVE and all the others who seem to be prolific posters and helpers of others.  YOU motivated me to write this post even though my problem is now solved.

Best wishes, Wigmore of the Medway Massive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carly

At last a lady technical advisors corrected send on Outlook Express. The advisor looked up on a Zen site and matched the problem and found the way to solved the incompatibility which had occured between BT broadband serving and my preference email Outlook Express. Well done to her

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MHC
Guru

The problem seems to be just O2.   In te past few weeks I have used numerous ISPs and connections and it is only when I have been forced to use O2 do the problems occur.

carly

BT and Outlook Express I received 33 duplicate emails in the inbox then send would not send then sent with duplicate emails 17 and 11 to two different friends I have tried everything and I am very dissappointed because I like the plain spacious no advertisements of Outlook Express. Which has received emails and will not send emails??? After having years of problems of having our internet connection failing and the telephone line and Many visits from Outreach engineers. You can imagine I am fed up with losing my preference of email Outlook Express and BT not able to help! I now get password not accepted? My question is what is going to be the nest problem. Infinite questions? Server unexpectedly terminated. WHY?

nayan007
Super User

This kind of problems used to happen with some customers. To check how you can solve it,please go through the link and do exactly the same as it is mentioned there :- http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6032/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzM0ODI4ODEyL3Np...

carly

At last a lady technical advisors corrected send on Outlook Express. The advisor looked up on a Zen site and matched the problem and found the way to solved the incompatibility which had occured between BT broadband serving and my preference email Outlook Express. Well done to her