cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP not routing to exchange server (port 25 blocked)

cabletech-south
Hi,

After several calls to BT help desk and no solution I'm hoping someone reading this may have an answer or experienced the same problem as I'm having.

Here's the details:
Windows server 2003 with Exchange Server 2003
BT Business Broadband with BT 220V router (Didn't like the 2wire!)

And the problem:
No matter what I do I can't get mail (SMTP) to get through to the Exchange server. I've setup virtual server for port 25 to the server, even switching on DMZ to the server fails port 25.

I'm beginning to suspect BT is blocking port 25 and I've come to this conclusion by carrying out the following:
Connect a laptop to the BT router and telnet the server on port 25 I get a connection established.
Setup a virtual service for a different port on the inbound (say 2501) routed to port 25 on the server and I'm able to telnet to port 2501 and connect to the mail server.

So the exchange server is accepting connections on port 25, the router is configured to route all external traffic to port 25 on the server but telnet on port 25 just doesn't connect 😞

After a whole day trying to sort it.....4 calls to BT help desk who told me port 25 is not blocked, please can anyone help me with a recommended solution?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
3 REPLIES 3

Fresh
port 25 is not blocked, setting up an individual btconnect user in outlook / outlook express and sending mail would prove this 

The only issue i can think of is that if you are sending from a domain name

e.g. xxx@yourname.com via smtp.btconnect.com / mail.btconnect.com

if so, you will need to contact support and request yournam.com to be added to your account for mail relay

If you have allready arranged this and your still having issues try using 213.123.20.93 instead (ip address of mail.btconnect.com)

also dont mention exchange server if you call in to the technical help desk, from my experience this will confuse most advisors 😉

Message Edited by Fresh on 01-25-2008 11:08 AM

VM

Hi

I am hoping someone can help on a related issue?

I am working at the 3rd party company & their router Blocks SMTP Port 25, I am therefore unable to send any mail’s via OutLook (most irritating). I have managed to change get my Yahoo (BT Internet) Mail working by changing the SMTP Port to 587, but I am unable to get my btconnect email to work (receiving is fine).

I have tried getting the company to unblock Port 25, but I don’t think the young IT lads even know how to do it (they can find the password for the router)? The connection is open without a password therefore someone has put in the restriction for a reason. The webmail is too restrictive for my needs therefore is there someone that can help me to find a solution to enable me to send email without having to use SMTP Port 25?

Many thanks

spank
Grand Guru

Hi there,

I would suggest you go to whatismyip.com and make sure you are telnetting the correct Ip first of all.  Your static addresses may not be set up right.

VM, btconnect SMTP only uses port 25.  BTyahoo does indeed use port 587 so you should be able to use that mail server for outgoing instead.  There have been long dicussions about this in the past I would suggest trying these settings.

Incoming server : pop3.btconnect.com

Outgoing server : smtp.btinternet.com

Account name and password : the btconnect one

Email address : the btconnect one

Enable outgoing authentication and enter the btinternet user name and password for this.

Change the outgoing port to 587 in advanced settings.

THis thread may also help you.

Thanks