cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP server not working - being told "Windows 10 issue" and I'll need to pay £25.00 to get support?

njwebdesign

So I can't send out e-mail using my BT Connect e-mail address via Outlook 2013 and Windows 10.

This come off the back of getting a "mail relay denied" error which we're still waiting for a reply on from vas.dundee@bt.com.

Phones BT support (again) and, after unsuccessfully testing various SMTP settings - made all the more confusing because BT have, for some reason, registered 2 e-mail accounts for me - firstname.surname@btconnect.com and firstname.surname1@btconnect.com - they are claiming that this is a "Windows 10 issue" and that I'll have to pay £25.00 for a one off support incident or pay a monthly subscription for "improved" support.

I have BT Business Broadband and am stuck unable to use my BT e-mail address outwith BT web mail.  Seriously?

We have the following incoming server address:

outlook.office365.com

We're tried the following outgoing SMTP server addresses:

mail.btconnect.com

smtp.btconnect.com

smtp.office365.com

We've got the SMTP requires authentication ticked, and have double checked our username/password credentals in there.

We have incoming (POP3) server port of 995

"This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" checked

Outgoing server (SMTP) is 587 and it's a TLS encrypted connection.

"Test Account Settings" returns a successful test yet any messages we create remain in the Outbox and, yes, we've deleted them all, recreated them all, closed Outlook after every settings change, re-opened Outlook.

Anyone else having this problem or is this an ugly attempt by BT to push people into paid support on the pretence that it's, somehow, related to Windows 10?

There's something stinks about this and the phone operators hastily mention of "you'll need to pay for support as this is a Windows 10 issue" seemed awfully convenient and highly suspicious.

We also haven't had a reply or resolution to a previous case (pre-Windows 10), relating to the SMTP server, that BT already identified as a genuine fault (our mail relay issue).

Would appreciate any advice / help on this.  Thank you.

NJ

PS. Oh, and I have no desire to use webmail thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

steveyh
I had exactly the same issue. this fixed it for me... in Windows 10. open a cmd window (with admin rights)type sfc /scannow this runs for a while and checks for file corruption and fixes any issues with the windows 10 install. restart outlook if still open and it should now work 🙂

njwebdesign

Fixed, thank you steveyh.

BT wanted £25.00 for this...pffft.

steveyh
Hi glad this worked for you, but to be fair to the BT support staff it is actually an issue with windows 10.

njwebdesign

I agree steveyh, but this was a simple fix that BT support staff could have resolved easily.

It was immediately a case of "oh, this is Windows 10 and we can't help....unless you pay".  <rubs hands>

Not very nice is it?

Appreciate the fix.  Thank you.

NJ