cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP through BTConnect using Chilkat

JXBURNS

I have a software application that uses Chilkat to send emails and has been working fine for ages through BT. In the last week it has stopped and now everytime it tries to send a message Chilkat produces the following (partial) error log showing the conversation (suitably redacted):

SmtpConnect:
      SmtpHost: smtp.btconnect.com
      SmtpPort: 25
      SmtpUsername: enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk
      SmtpSsl: 0
      StartTLS: 0
      Need new SMTP connection
      checkForExistingConnection: Elapsed time: 0 millisec
      SMTP_Connect:
        Connecting to SMTP server smtp.btconnect.com:25
        smtp_host: smtp.btconnect.com
        smtp_port: 25
        smtp_user: enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk
        ConnectTimeoutMs_1: 30000
        calling ConnectSocket2
        IPV6 enabled connect with NO heartbeat.
        connectingTo: smtp.btconnect.com
        Resolving domain name (IPV4) via gethostbyname
        GetHostByNameHB_ipv4: Elapsed time: 62 millisec
        myIP_1: 192.168.1.64
        myPort_1: 60577
        connect successful (1)
        socketConnect: Elapsed time: 78 millisec
        InitialResponse: 220 mail.btconnect.com ESMTP

initialResponse: Elapsed time: 31 millisec
        sendingHello: EHLO RB-Counter

sendEhlo: Elapsed time: 0 millisec
        helloResponse: 250-mail.btconnect.com Hello RB-Counter
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 52428800
250-ETRN
250-DSN
250 PIPELINING

helloResponse: Elapsed time: 15 millisec
        This SMTP server did not list authentication methods.
        Defaulting to LOGIN authentication method.
        login_method: LOGIN
        535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful
        Failed to get response to login password
        ConnectionLog:
          220 mail.btconnect.com ESMTP
EHLO RB-Counter

The smtp user name has been tried with and without the domain name listed (it worked fine without).

The password is correct as I can connect to the BT server using TelNet on port 25. Also using Outlook it works fine.

Client is a Windows 7 PC running in a workgroup.

From what I can tell BT is telling the system that it is trying to relay however I repeat this was working fine up to a week ago so wonder if something has again changed at BT which they seem to do every 6 months without telling us.

I can change Chilkat to use different ports and/or use TLS if someone thinks that may help?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JXBURNS

OK solved this.

As I mentioned for months this has been working OK. The solution was to ensure the login id/password used for "smptlogin=" and "Smtppassword=" was for the BT account itself given when it was first set-up.

Up until now had been using the prefix of the email address (before the @) and the password for that account. But the error message, although not clear, was actually stating could not connect to the account any longer. BT would not admit they had changed anything but effectively they were no longer recognising the email address/password. This was despite it working perfectly in Outlook and is listed in the list of allowed relays.

So happy bunny once more. Hope this helps anyone else using Chilkat - an excellent piece of software for developers.

John

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

klauzser
Power User

Is this the first time you have this type of problem? I am about to use Chilkat and good to see this post of yours. I guess I have to wait until this one has been resolved. Have you checked Chilkat about it?

JXBURNS

OK solved this.

As I mentioned for months this has been working OK. The solution was to ensure the login id/password used for "smptlogin=" and "Smtppassword=" was for the BT account itself given when it was first set-up.

Up until now had been using the prefix of the email address (before the @) and the password for that account. But the error message, although not clear, was actually stating could not connect to the account any longer. BT would not admit they had changed anything but effectively they were no longer recognising the email address/password. This was despite it working perfectly in Outlook and is listed in the list of allowed relays.

So happy bunny once more. Hope this helps anyone else using Chilkat - an excellent piece of software for developers.

John