cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support when using own router on Infinity for business?

cgre

I've been installing and specifying BT Infinity/MPLS Superfast ever since its been available. 

The issue we've always been told is the BT kit must be used on the line to be supported, so previosly this was the Openreach Huawei modem (notoriously unreliable) and now has moved on to the hub5 VDSL router.

My question is around the support, if myself or anyone ditches the BT issued kit and uses Cisco/Draytek/AN Other vendors VDSL router on the line what we keep getting told is that BT cannot support the circuit because it needs their kit on the end (hub5/huawei modem).

We've installed many circuits no issue with Cisco and Draytek VDSL routers but always have the question mark on support, we had one instance of a circuit failure as an example and the customer was told "what are the lights on the Openreach modem doing?" when told they had a Cisco router on the end the support call effectively ended as the support person said they dont support wires only and rely on reading modem lights to diagnose a potential fault.

It's completely barking as ADSL has offered true wires only for years with no issues, why is this the case on FTTC based circuits and is this going to change, I cannot find a definitive statement from BT anywhere on this issue (ie: is it now supported to have your own router, if you find a line fault and call in the desk doesnt expect a hub5 or Huawei modem on the end then cant help as its a customers own device)

1 REPLY 1

Burkem5
Guru

Hi there,

You can certainly use your own VDSL modem.  We have no problem with that.

That said if the end user has an issue which requires a change to the router settings we will ask for the end user to make the change,  or for the IT to make the change.  The reason being that we cannot provide training for every make of router and will not change settings on routers which we are not trained on.

One other thing worth mentioning is that if it comes down to us sending an engineer out for a line fault and the engineer finds that the router its self it faulty,  and that the line tests OK with the Hub 5 then he can charge a call out fee of £235 ex VAT.

These prices are correct as of 11/05/15

Hope this helps

Burkem5