cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Question about BT Infinity Hardware

postfoster

I am currently with BT Broadband, and am thinking of upgrading to Infinity.  The minimum requirements I have read on the BT Infinity page, must have two mains sockets and your area (location and phone line) must be ready for the upgrade (both of which I can meet), but the one piece of information I cannot find is what the distance between the main phone socket and the router can be (ie what length the lead is between the main phone socket and the router)?

12 REPLIES 12

sej7278
Super User

i would hope that like adsl, you don't really have to be plugged into your master socket, although i had heard that you need the master socket and 2 power points to be next to each other, which would be pretty naff for me as i don't want a router and modem in my entrace porch, with a length of ethernet cable running to the office!

MHC
Guru

There are two devices required - a modem which is supplied and installed by BT and a Router which can be of your choosing (must have a WAN port) or supplied by BT.

The phone socket connects to the Modem.

Due to te nature of VDSL signal, the less noise and attenuation - the better and that is why it should be adjacent to the main NTE5 which will be converted with a VDSL specific face plate.  Dangly filters might work but are not really good enough.   The face plate does have the capability for the VDSL signal to be fed out and the modem located away from the socket, but experience and best practice says NO.    The lead supplied is about 2m long.

From the Modem to Router there is a 100Mb Ethernet cable and the one supplied is 1.8m long.   However,   if you install an RJ45 socket next to te modem and wire it to another RJ45 socket, using patch leads from modem to socket and socket to Router,  you can have up to 100 metres of cable.

sej7278
Super User

any chance the router/modem supplied by bt are wall-mountable, i.e. do they have screw holes to mount them upright - kind of thinking of putting them in line with the fuse box above the dual power and master phone socket, and then running some cat6 to the switch in the next room (or maybe having the router and switch away from the modem).

anyone got any pictures - what are the model numbers, the modem is from huawei i expect?

MHC
Guru

The Huawei modem is wall mountable on 100mm centres and is 160x120x30.    But you might get an ECI

The router may not be ... I wallmount my 2wire2700 using 2 mirror clips and I don't know about the current business hub 3.

I will get a picture of my setup and uppload it in a few minutes.

MHC
Guru

MHC_comms_wall.jpg

As you can see,  modem mounted on the wall and a 2701 next to it.

sej7278
Super User

sorry can't see the image, its just a yellow triangle

thanks for the info though

MHC
Guru

A mod needs to approve the image.  Although as I can see it, I thought they had.

I will send you a Private Message (PM) with a link.

sej7278
Super User

oh wow that is pretty big considering how much bigger it is than the 2700 (which itself is oversize)

one more thing to add to my "shall i bother with infinity2?" list, a huge modem in the entrace hall and wires to run into the office

MHC
Guru

You may have got it wrong ...

From left to right:

24 Port Switch --- 2701 --- Huawei HG612 --- BoxConn200 (Krone strips for phone) --- Incoming Master with VDSL face plate --- Second Telphone master (half visible).

The Huawei is WHITE  and only 160 x 120 mm