cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Domain Out

xpher
We have just done a transfer out of our .co.uk domain name. We cannot access email on BT now so we don't know if there has been an email asking for confirmation of transfer. I am the web designer for the company in question and don't have the necessary info to go through the enquiry at dnsforms.co.uk. Any advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

xpher
Thanks anyway, I realise that it's not what I was asking. Resolved the problem anyway.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

alastair
Grand Guru

go to www.allwhois.com and check the tag and the name servers

if its not pointing to BT its in transit to your new host. may take like 24 hours or so to propigate through DNS and for your host to set up your records.

=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

xpher
Thanks anyway, I realise that it's not what I was asking. Resolved the problem anyway.

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi

I'm glad you have managed to get the information you required for transfering your domain out of BT Business.

There is information on our Help and Support site, this says that as long as you have gone through the correct process:  

'Once your request has been processed, an email with relevant transfer information is sent to your primary email address.'

This information can then be obtained by the account holder.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

Psimoh

Hello,

I have a similar issue. I am transferring out from BT a .com domain for my client . Unfortunately the 'registrant contact address' is listed as an email address to which my client no longer has access. It is a dead email address. This means that when BT send out the authorisation key to that address we cannot obtain it to complete the transfer. We are able to change the domain name administrative contact email address using BT's portal but not the crucial registrant contact address.

I called BT to ask for the redundant address to be changed, and the agent told me it had, but when I try to instigate the transfer away the automated email response still has the old email address listed as the registrant contact. I have also tried to instigate the transfer using the dnsforms.co.uk web site but, again, I suspect the key is still being sent to the old email address. To re-iterate, there are two email addresses included in the WHOIS register and BT will only let me update one of them, while the important registrant emai address remains un-editable.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Simon

Fiona
Grand Guru

Hi Psimoh

I am not sure i totally understand. Any domain registered with BT Business has a primary BTConnect email address which is used to manage the domain account. It is this email address that information is sent too and that you would use when transfering your domain name. As long as the domain account is active then you can log into My Office and update the details or check your primary email account for the domain.

If you are unsure of the primary BTConnect email address for the domain then you can contact our technical desk who will be able to help with these details.

Kind Regards

Fiona

BT Business Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

dave
Guru

Fiona - when a domain name is registered, an email address is listed on the registration as the administrative contact. This is required for purposes such as renewing and transferring the domain name.

The person registering this can generally enter any email they want here, and problems can then arise when the owner no longer has access to this email address.

Simon - it is the administrative contact that is the important one. Any email concerning transferring will be sent to this and not the registrant contact. As long as this has been changed, there should be no problem. Do a whois lookup to verify that it has changed.

Psimoh

Thanks for the responses guys but I'm afraid you're not quite getting it. It might help to see the bulk of the automated email that is sent to the person who instigates the request. I've x-ed out (and switched) the sensitive info and indicated the reference to the redundant email address in bold, to try to make it clearer:

"Dear XXXX,Your reference number is XXXX-XXXXXX.Thank you for your email dated 19/04/10 regarding the transfer of your domain. I understand from your email that you wish to transfer your domain name yourdomain.com out of BT. Your domain has now been unlocked and the authorisation key for the transfer has been sent to the domain name registrant contact address old@address.com. If you take this key to your new host they will be able to initiate the transfer of the domain into their control.Your new host are now required to send an approval email to the domain names administrative email address admin@address.com and it is then responsibility of the owner of this address to approve of the transfer, using the links provided within the email.If the email is not approved of the transfer will not be proceed. Please note : If your domain name has not been transferred out of BT within the next 30 days, the registrar lock will be reapplied for security reasons.If you have any further queries please feel free to reply to myself and I will endeavour to find a resolution to your enquiry."

There is no way that I can change the registrant contact address through the BT portal (old@address.com) and it is dead, so my client cannot retrieve the key. I can change the administrative contact address (admin@address.com) but, as you can see above, the key I need is not sent to that address.

In short, the key is being sent to an address which I cannot access, and I cannot change the reference to that address through the portal.

Thanks,

Si

Psimoh

I hope that makes it clearer. Any suggestions? Who should I contact? I've tried the portal, which doesn't work because of the reasons explained, the web site - dnsforms.co.uk - without results, and I spoke to a BT agent who, after quite a long time on the 'phone said that the DNS team had changed the address for me. They didn't.

I'm out of ideas so any suggestions, contact etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Si