cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer domain DNS to a different host?

kraftyd
I'm currently developing a website for a client who has a BT Business account with a domain and hosting. They want to keep their domain, but I need to host their new site on my own platform for development and maintenence sake. Can someone please tell me if it's possible to change the DNS servers for their domain, and where to do it? Is it possible to do this through their BT Account Control Panel (I haven't yet taken a look, they'd like to be present), or do we need to be contacting BT tech support? I don't want to transfer the domain out, it can stay with BT, I'll just need to change the primary and secondary DNS server.

Thanks in advance,

kraftyd

Message Edited by kraftyd on 20-04-2009 04:55 PM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ian1974
Namservers can be repointed via the dns nameserver repoint form located at www.dnsforms.co.uk.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Thalen

Yes, if the domain has already been registered with BT, you can log into the account page and request for the domain to be tranferred outside of BT. Failing this, you can visit www.dnsforms.co.uk and follow the relevant transfer out link.

alastair
Grand Guru

not quite right thalen.

domain is not to be transferred.

however going to dnsforms and filling out a general one (i think) means you can get them to repoint the webspace to your platform

=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

Ian1974
Namservers can be repointed via the dns nameserver repoint form located at www.dnsforms.co.uk.

kraftyd
Thanks Ian, that looks just the ticket. Quick question, is it possible to leave all their email accounts with BT, or is there no way of stopping that changing when you change DNS servers?

Ian1974

Hi Kraftyd,

It is possible to keep your emails with BT.

Just make sure you select "yes" where the form says.

"Do you intend to use BT's mail servers once the name servers are changed?".

Once you submit your request it is best to get your new host to point the domains MX record to - ibmr.btconnect.com ( doing this prior to submitting your request will reduce the downtime onyour e-mail ).

Ian - F -

kraftyd

I completed the DNS repoint form at dnsform.co.uk yesterday, I thought it would all be automated but obviously it just sends the request through to BT support. My client is desperate to have the site live this Friday, is the turnaround on this usually quick?

Cheers,

Tim

dave
Guru
It will join a queue and is usually done same day in most cases provided you supplied the security answer when you filled in the form.

Ian1974

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear you have not received a reply yet.

You should have heard something back regarding your re-point by now as we currently have a response time of 1 working day.

If you still have the initial confirmation of your request with a reference number just reply to that asking for an update or just send me a msg on here with the reference and I will look into it first thing tomorrow.

Regards,

Ian - F -

kraftyd
Hi Ian don't worry, the change happened this afternoon 🙂 All went through fine, emails are still with BT and web is with my hosts. Thanks for your great help 🙂