cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload has been cut to 448?

JACKERL360

Hi

For some reason my upload speed has been cut back to 448?

It was set to double that when I started with BT in 2010.

Can someone check my line profile please?

Thanks

J

5 REPLIES 5

JohnE
Guru

I'd recommend that you Contact Us  We'd need to carry out a full diagnostic on the line to determine why this has happened.

JACKERL360

Well, contacted BT support and was brushed off.

When I signed up with BT in 2010 I was not capped at 448 - I would not have signed up for a Business Package with a residential upload.

I have been throttled back to 448 even though my exchange says 1056k is available.

Very dissapointed with BT who advertise an upload of 1mb but throttle back to 448.

My line has suppored the Max in the past and initially BT gave me the Max but sneakely throttled back after a few months.

Since I am not being provided the Max rate my line is capable of - can I terminate the contract early with out penalty? 

My Line Stats Are: -

Down Up
Modem Type:Built in modem - ADSL
DSL Line (Wire Pair):Line 1 (inner pair)
Current DSL Connection:

Rate:8128 kbs448 kbs
Max Rate:10880 kbs1056 kbs                           
Noise Margin:15.0 dB26.0 dB
Attenuation:20.5 dB13.0 dB                             
Output Power:19.7 dBm11.9 dBm

Protocol:G.DMT Annex A
Channel:Fast
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry: {3840} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0                              }                           
ATM PVC:0/38

Rate Cap:10880 kbs
Attenuation @ 300kHz:20.5 dB
Uncanceled Echo:-15.6 dBOk
VCXO Frequency Offset:-14.6 ppmOk
Final Receive Gain:4.5 dBOk
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones:0Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise:0

Ok

OldWolf
Guru

Hi,

First things first - there is no such thing as a 'residential upload' speed.  Most ADSL services use the same balance of speeds.

For example if you are on old fixed rate (up to 2 Mb) packages your upload would typically be 256 Kb.  If you're on ADSL Max (up to 8 Mb) then this would be 448 Kb.  Finally moving on to ADSL2+ you would be on about 1 Mb upload.

Note: All figures are 'up to', although in theory they shouldn't degrade in the same that download speed do.

Now this is not say that other speeds aren't available.  BT Business Network has an upload speed of 884 Kb, but you pay extra compared to the standard packages.

And now for the conspiracy theories.  Without knowing any details about your account, but please don't tell me them, it would be impossible to say what package you were on.

If I read the figures correctly your router is detecting that the line has ADSL2+ available on the exchange, but your maximum speed indicate that you are either on ADSL Max, or have been bulk regraded to ADSL2+, and so would still be on ADSL Max rates.

Normally regardes aren't automatic, but BT in recent years have been carrying out transfers to the 21st Century Network, which has involved these bulk changes.  If you wanted to go to full ADSL2+ then you would have to request a regrade, which would mean calling Sales.

Finally I also suspect that your exchange has only recently been upgraded to ADSL2+.  I say this because if you were getting 8 Mb on ADSL Max then you should be getting something 17 Mb at least on ADSL2+, but the router only shows 10 Mb or so.  Unfortunately newly regraded exchanges often show incorrect figures because they have no historical data to go on, and all lines have to have the profile kinks worked out as they go.

So there you go.

Dave A

MHC
Guru

OldWolf ...

If the OP says he was getting near 1Mb in the past it would suggest that he was at that time on ADSL2+   Maybe something happened which forced the modem or DSLAM into ADSL mode and even though any problem has dissappeared there change back to ADSL2+ has not occurred.

JACKERL360

What we need to understand is what was in the original email did it refer to ADSL, ADSL2+ ADSLmax and maybe the exchange name to understand when ADSL2+ was rolled out there.     Can you confirm that it is a 2wire2700 modem/router/hub.

Have you also tried a full power down, of the router, remove the cable to the master, wait 15 minutes (Iknow teh help line suggests three), reboot the router and after 2 - 3 minutes when it  is fully running, reconnect the cable.   Then check the stats again.

OldWolf
Guru

@MHC

True enough, but I've been around this long enough to know that unless there is empirical evidence then we don't actually know.  I've heard people say 'I get this' and 'I get that' only to find that they were talking garbage, so without further evidence I have to discard it.

For example I've been on various Internet connections and have seen data downloaded at 2 or 3 times the actual bandwidth rate for the connection.  How?  I have no idea, but I saw it happen.  That doesn't mean my connection had changed in any way.

Anyhoo getting away from the point.

To be honest the only thing I could think of would be that an 8 Mb service cap was put in place after the order was completed, but I don't see why that would have been done, unless a bulk regrade had been put through incorrectly.

My advice would be to have the THD or Order Management check the account to see what package the connection is currently on, and whether any charges were made to it.

Dave A