cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail size 365 and domainname

PeterC

Hi

Well. I have read a bit on here. But here is my predicament. I have a few questions which I have put in bold.

I am a volunteer for a credit union (and we dont have money for new expensive PCs and S/W). I look after the IT as I am (was ?) IT literate - certainly no one else is. Two years ago somene decided to use BT for the internet and email.

I have in the past added space for our email addresses that all end @btinternet.com so no domain name. Today I tried adding more space and it seems the way I did it before is not there. Unfortunately, like a certain office product we have to be an expert in something that we used to be able to do in our sleep. I mean its changed ! ( has it ?).

In the end I gave up ignoring the "upgrade to 365" links incase this was my hurdle (is it, do I need to bother ?). It wanted me to re-grade (iirc) first. So I gave in and went there. Option to not bother on all email addresses except our bloated email address which was not in the list. So I went for ignore (coward) on all of them. Next thing it asks me to register a domain name - well we have a website already so why not use that I thinks.

Question is does that mean we will have to change our email addresses in our publicity etc etc or is there a way of setting up aliases ?.

Will I be able to add space to the email addresses if I play around with Office365 - one of them is already at 950MB.

I have not dared go too far iinto the 365 upgrade stuff incase I commit us to something I could have avoided. Probably being overcautious I know but I would appreciate some pointers as I cannot afford to get it wrong for them.

My real goal is to get an old windows2003 server going and use that as a proper server. We can then move forwards from a workkgroup to a domain. But that seems to be receeding into the mist. Its a pity we changed our email addresses only two years ago and this is where we end up.

This has turned into a rather large distraction. Being a volunteer I could just walk away but thats not my motivation in life.

I am sure these are fairly simple questions. Any answers would be appreciated.

Peter

1 REPLY 1

Stephenc
Master User

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you are currently going through migration.  If you currently have a mailbox with a size of 950Mb, I assume your company is also paying for orgainise and share. 

To continue using a similar service you would need to use a domain name, go into the upgrade centre select to upgrade to office365 for small business.  You can still use aliases, however for the most part the mailbox would become the domain name itself i.e. someone@mydomain.co.uk

You will not be able to add space to the email addresses, lite email addresses are fixed at 500Mb and premium mailboxes are fixed at 25Gb.

Thanks,

Steve