cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another question - server & SSL

russell37uk

1. The server for eShop - Is it a dedicated server & IP address for each individual store, or a shared server?

2. SSL - Is this included in the price?   ...... If not do I have to purchase SSL from BT or can I get it elsewhere (eg GoDaddy etc)

3. After purchasing the eshop option, how long does it take to activate so I can start work on my new webstore?

Thanks

Russell

Just starting out in business (on-line retail), any advice you can give me will be welcomed with open arms.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

russell37uk

Thank you Orchie & Dave for your replies.

Dave - The shared SSL is what I was trying to explain (albeit not very well),

If there is one store on this domain that does not adhere to the SSL terms, does it affect the good standing of all the other stores.

My opinion (right or wrong) was that if a SSL certificate is issued, it is issued to 1 domain / IP regardless of how many websites are hosted on it.

Thanks again

Russell

Just starting out in business (on-line retail), any advice you can give me will be welcomed with open arms.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

orchie
Grand Master

Hi Russell,

I'm pretty sure I'm right with this, though maybe BT could confirm:

1) It's a shared server and IP though you will have no problems with SEO, I've got an eShop to page 1 in Google for very competitive keywords.

2) SSL is included

3) Pretty much straight away and there's a nice easy setup wizard to get you going.

Hope this helps.

russell37uk

Hi orchie,

Thanks for replying to both of my posts. And thanks for the info, hopefully a BT admin can confirm this.

One point though, I read in another forum somewhere, that SSL's on a shared server / IP are not as secure, I think it was something like where the SSL is shared by x number of sites, if one of those sites was a 'bad' site, it would somehow have a knock on effect of affecting the genuine sites credibility.

This may be wrong, but its the impression I got.

Cheers

Russell

orchie
Grand Master
To be honest I've never heard that and I also resell Globalsign SSL certificates, the certificate encrypts the data that passes through the server, to be honest I think that's a load of rubbish though I'll double check with Globalsign, I don't see how a "bad" site could affect it as it's unrelated to the site content.

dave
Guru

Not sure about that russell.

What should maybe be pointed out with the SSL is that the SSL session will not be using your own domain name. All SSL sessions use the shared domain btowstore.com.

They don't currently allow you to use your own SSL certificate for the shop.

russell37uk

Thank you Orchie & Dave for your replies.

Dave - The shared SSL is what I was trying to explain (albeit not very well),

If there is one store on this domain that does not adhere to the SSL terms, does it affect the good standing of all the other stores.

My opinion (right or wrong) was that if a SSL certificate is issued, it is issued to 1 domain / IP regardless of how many websites are hosted on it.

Thanks again

Russell

eShopTeam
Master User

Hello Russell

eShop offers a shared server with SSL included. About security: if a "bad" shop is on the shared server, we will know it and we will do our upmost without interfere the other shops.

After purchasing the eshop option you should be able to work on your new webshop immediatly but sales department might respond more precisely.

Kind Regards

The eShop Team