cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autodiscover-s.outlook.com

perezjulio

Hello, I am having trouble with a pop up when using the outlook client in my customers desktops.

we have our own exchange server, however you are still hosting our emails...meaning that my email adress..xxxx@YYYYY.co.uk is also xxx@btconnect.com.

It seems that this problem became apparent since BT moved into office 365 but now is getting too much and to often to be ignore any more.

I think the issue is that when I do nslookup autodiscover.pmcconstruction.co.uk

I get the following

Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: autodiscover-emeawest.outlook.com
Aliases: autodiscover.YYYYYY.co.uk
autodiscover.outlook.com
autodiscover.geo.outlook.com
autodiscover.outlook.com.glbdns2.microsoft.com

Now the question is...why is autodiscover.pmcconstruction.co.uk pointing to one of your servers and not to my exchange server?

Does it need to be like that?

Should I just request a dns change so that autodiscover.pmcconstruction.co.uk points to our exchange server?

Would that create problems for us?

Thanks a lot!!!!

4 REPLIES 4

markp
Grand Guru

Hi perezjulio,

I have had a look at your domain and looking at the MX record it would look as though your mail is pointing to the BT mail severs.  As the domain is pointing to our servers the autodiscover record will point to autodiscover.outlook.com if you wan the mail to be hosted on your own server and not BT's you would need to get the MX record and the autodiscover record repointed to your own server, so that your own server hosts both the incoming and outgoing mail and not BT's.

Markp

perezjulio

Hello Mark and thank you for the answer.

This is exactly were I believe things have change a bit since 14 years ago when the first email for the company was created..

The first email was created for xxx@btconnect.com

after 4 years the company got an exchange server

the exchange was collecting the email using a pop collector

The exchange was relaying the emails to BT and BT would send them on it's way

The exchange was still counting with the BT to have the MX record as anyone could also log into their btconnect.com email if necessary or out of the office. , hence we had a exchange server, but it was BT the one hosting our email for the external world

That worked without any issue for the next 7-8 years

then BT changed to Office 365, everything got mobile, a new exchange got into place and the autodiscover feature appear and now the two mail servers are "out there".

Question now is, how do we break that relationship, is it possible?, will it break the whole balance that it exists between them.

What would be the easiest thing to do?

Thanks again.

markp
Grand Guru

Hi perezjulio,

I wouldn't be able to answer that for you, as it all depends on what you want to do either host the mail yourself or let BT keep hosting it.

We have a IT support team on 0800 500 247 who will be able to advise on best setup for your server as the main helpdesk are not able to advise on servers.

Mark

perezjulio

Thanks Mark, I will call them