cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad or no connection since upgrade to single static ip

phil8

Hello, we have been with generally worse than dial up connection speed for around 20 days now (infact since the day we upgraded to single static ip which was the 16th december). If i reset the router i get around 20 mins of 'useable' broadband speed (hovering up and down between 1 and 3 meg) then it drops to around 0.08meg and can hardly ping speedtest.net after 30 mins. At an hour I cant even open speedtest.net webpage.

I seem to be stuck in a loop of talking to bt support who say the fault is an open copper fault on the line showing errors and must be my equipment. I unplug everything -  replug, unplug, replug, unplug they say i still do have errors, then dont, then do,- in general end up still measuring a fault and send out an engineer (4 times now). He does a mixture of magic shuffles - resets at the exchange, re-routes lines, plugs in and checks line at my master socket etc, etc and gets everything flying again then a certain period later (after one engineer visit 3-4 hours later, after another 2 days later) my speed starts to drop and then i end up in the resetting cycle to get any access.

I have had a new master socket fitted, have had a second bt business hub and now have got a home hub 3 running on factory settings (albeit entering my username and password). I have two lines on site and at one point unplugging the second line (which has a credit card machine in it only) was reported to have reduced the errors. i have just brought my home hub and credit card machine home, plugged them both in and entered my home username and i get 6.9 meg and i am writing this forum entry without problem. Coiincidentally i also rang support back while still at work and with the credit card machine unplugged and having reset everything i still got no connection speed and a different support person measured errors.

One thing which does worry me is when i spoke to support earlier today they asked me which of my ip addresses i was using as i have 8 (i should only have 1). I asked if having multiple ips setup would likely be the cause of my problems to which i was told no and they rang back later to say they had checked setup and it was actually only 1 on the line. i am not setting my router for multiple ips.

I am at the end of my tether now and have had to lay off staff because of our loss of income because of this. If anyone has any ideas or things to check please let me know.

thanks

phil

2 REPLIES 2

anthonyriley99

Multiple ip address require assigning the default gateway address to the router (this can be obtained from BT) or via manage services section of myoffice.bt.com.  If you have not configured the router and the device correctly with multiple static range the connection may revert to a DHCP address instead.  If you only need the 1 static ip address i would strongly recomend reverting to 1 statis address as this is far easier to configure and will not run into the problems your having. 

Check the ip address your being allocated is correct having reverted to the single static, configure your firewall/port forwarding and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps

kimura
Super User

Hi phil, any luck on this yet? try to run tracert yahoo.com. You should be able to see which hop is intemittent.