cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fax share - on featurelines or broadband?

mattfort

i have 3 featurelines for phone

and one line exclusively for broadband

which one can share a fax machine - very few faxes sent / received, but it needs to work when required.

I have tried connecting the fax machine to the broadband line, and it seems to send a fax ok (unverified as yet) but it made the broadband drop out and had to restart router etc etc

haven't tried receiving one yet.

Should I be setting the fax up on one of the featureline inputs or the broadband input?

I don't want to have to pay for an exclusive fax line.

be grateful if anyone can advise

cheers

6 REPLIES 6

Davel
Super User

Most people normally use broadband line for fax....make sure you plug fax into an ADSL filter.

mattfort

yes, did that, but broadband drops out when i send a fax and I have to restart router - is that going to happen every time?

Also, is it possible to receive faxes on that line, while the broadband is running and the router is connected?

Will the fax come through?

Davel
Super User

No, fax should not affect broadband as long as everything is plugged into a filter. Try changing the filter incase it's faulty.

mattfort

thanks - it was on a fliter when it dropped, will try switching that.

knobbster
Super User

Switching the filter should fix this. Fax and dat operate in separate channels/frequency so for sure, they won't interfere with each other.

rhydianwyn

We run a fair few of our office faxes on broadband lines. As mentioned the fax machine and router will need filters fitted. I'd also suggest changing the filter on the router as well as the fax machine to check.