cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my email address has been hijacked

counsellormort

It started a few days ago and has been persistent whenever the computer is active, whether I'm using Outlook or not. There is a 'bong' and I know that my unwelcome piggybacker has logged on as me and has sent out messages. I don't know if any have actually been despatched because what I get is error messages: 'A message could not be sent' followed by 'Logon failure: unknown username or bad password' followed by '5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful'

What is going on? has anybody else had a similar 'attack'?

Mort

7 REPLIES 7

MHC
Guru

You may well have a virus or trojan on your PC.   

Get your AV software up to date and run a full scan with the PC offline - you may ven need to try running it in safe mode too.

Also get a copy of Malwarebytes and run that. 

Burkem5
Guru

HI Counsellormort

MHC is correct a virus and malware scan is the correct way to go -  it may also be worth while to rest the password on your account incase this has been compromised.

Thanks

ziesha008

why don't you complain your provider ?

Like : https://www.facebook.com/email.biz
Follow : https://twitter.com/emailbiz1

FraserHouse

I received an e mail today supposed to be from BT Customer Service saying my e mail has been infected with a Trojan Virus & to click on a link which says Recover Now (which is supposed to delete the virus).

Is this a genuine e mail or spam/hacker etc?

MHC
Guru

Almost certainly an attempt to get access to your password.

marcellagardner

My emails have been invaded and I want to close this email account and get a new account.  Can you please tell me how to do this?

Burkem5
Guru

OK,  it looks from the number of posts made here that there has been a new spate of spam attempts,

If you are unsure of any email claiming to be from BT please forward this to abuse@bt.com who can help prevent further attacks as well as help with compromised accounts.

You can also contact us for help with this and I assure you we will do everything we can to get this back to its uncompressed secure state and keep it that way.

Thanks

Burkem5