cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uploading a html file to my website

basherbinks

i have created my website and have asked googfle to place it on their engine.

they have asked me to create a html file and upload it to my site so they can verify it.

i have created a file but don't know how to upload this

can anyone help me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dave
Guru
Either use FTP or the FIle Manager tool that you will find in the Website Centre. Place the file in the /public folder.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

dave
Guru
Either use FTP or the FIle Manager tool that you will find in the Website Centre. Place the file in the /public folder.

Kade

There are a number of way you can upload your website. You can use File Transfer Protocal (FTP) with web browsers such as Internet Explorer.

Note:

BT do not recommend web browsers be used for FTP uploads because they often have a limited feature set and security vulnerabilities when used in conjunction with FTP.

For further information on using FTP clients to upload files to your website, please see What is an FTP client?

Uploading via Website Centre

You can use the Website Centre to upload your website. Click on the Access FTP link at the top of the page. This supplies your login details to your browser and attempts to start an FTP session if your browser is FTP-enabled.

Note:

Internet Explorer 7 is not FTP-enabled.

Uploading via FTP using your web browser

You need your FTP login details if you are connecting via a web browser. These are in a different format depending on whether you have the free web space or a standard or advanced BT Web hosting product.

Note:

The following steps only work if you are using the following browsers:

• Internet Explorer 5 (PC)
  • Internet Explorer 6 (PC)
  • Safari (Mac 0S X)

To find out what version of Internet Explorer you are using, launch Internet Explorer and select About Internet Explorer from the Help menu. A dialog is displayed, showing the version number.

To upload your website:

1. Type the following FTP address into the address bar of the browser: ftp://primarydomain.xx.xx:password@ftp.primarydomain.xx.xx

For example, if you had an account with these details:

Primary domain: mydomain.co.uk
    Website address: www.mydomain.co.uk
    FTP password: password10

You would type: ftp://mydomain.co.uk:password10@ftp.mydomain.co.uk

These details log you in to your FTP account, where you can upload and download files.

2. Open My Computer at the folder containing the files you wish to upload. Note:

Any files you want visitors to your website to see should be placed in the /public folder.

3. Click and hold the left mouse button on one of the files, drag the mouse over to the Internet Explorer window, then release the mouse button.

You can either resize the My Computer and Internet Explorer windows so the contents of both are visible at the same time, or, if Internet Explorer is hidden behind the My Computer dialog, drag the file over the button for Internet Explorer on the taskbar and hold it for a moment. Internet Explorer then jumps to the front.

4. To download, right-click on a file, select Copy to Folder from the pop-up menu displayed and select a destination folder for the files.

any help?

/Kade

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01101110 01101111 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100111 01110010 01100101 01110100 01110011 (No Regrets)

basherbinks

many thanks for the help, but i am still confused,

i cant seem to still up load my html file, have i saved it the wrong way maybe?

i saved the file onto my desktop.

as for the ftp access i can't get into that at all (told you there would be silly questions!!!!) sorry

i really need to get our companoes web site up and running asap (boss not impressed with my technical abilities at the mo)

many thanks

dawn

dave
Guru

Hi Dawn,

To access FTP I would advise downloading a proper FTP program such as Filezilla or similar. Once you have installed this, it should be a case of entering the following 3 bits of information into the relevant boxes:

server - ftp.yourdomain.com (substitute yourdomain.com for your own domain name)

username - yourdomain.com (substitute yourdomain.com for your own domain name)

password - your FTP password which if you don't know, you can reset by logging into your account by clicking on Manage your website/s. From here you will be given the option to reset the FTP password.

Once you have connected, you will be able to see 4 folders on the server. Double click on public to open it. You can then drag and drop your html file into this folder.

Your file should then be visible over the web in the format http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.html

Chantale
Master User

Hi.

The best way to upload a file is by using an FTP client. I recommend that you use a program called FileZilla. Use the following information to connect to the FTP

Host: domain.com (replace this with your domain, NO www.)

Server: domain.com (replace this with your domain, NO www., same as Host)

Password: domain password

Once logged into the FileZilla, you will see on the right hand side, Remote Site, which is where your files should be. On the left hand side, you will see Local Site, which is your computer. Under the Remote Site, by clicking on the / folder you see, you will see within this a folder called /public. This is where your html file should be uploaded. To upload the file into /public, you can go in Local Site, find the html file you have created within your computer, then drag and drop it into the /public.

On the bottom of the FileZilla, you will see the files in queue . It will tell you whether or not the file was uploaded. Once the file has been uploaded to the /public folder, you have succeeded.

Good luck!! :smileyhappy:

alastair
Grand Guru
once again.... thats what dave said
=~~= All Glory to the Hypnotoad! =~~=

basherbinks

hi,

i have finally done it,

all my thanks for the support

dawn

Mik4mine

Read the google analytics support page instructions...