cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT BusinessHub 3 - Hardware VPN?

lowethca

Dear all!

I have been tasked with assisting a small business create a site-to-site VPN.

One site has a third party router behind the BT's 2Waire BusinessHub (the third party router has been given the public IP). The third party router has a hardware VPN capability and this works as required.

We have taken on a new site and have a BT Infinity BusinessHub 3 at this site. All is configured and Internet works perfectly. However, we are trying to create a hardware VPN connection to the BT BusinessHub 3.

Question: Does the BT BusinessHub 3 have VPN server/client capability? I.e. Can it be used to create or accept a VPN connection using its own capabilities.

I have gone through the Advanced Options and the only "VPN" setting relates to changing the port 500 in the event we want to use an IPSec VPN. We don't.

From what I have read I am beginning to think that the BusinessHub only has VPN passthrough capability and that a VPN server needs to be behind the BusinessHub. Not what we want.

I have also read that everything I need is in the firewall settings... but this is to punch a hole in the BusinessHub firewall ("port forward") to direct the traffic to a VPN server... not what we want.

If there is an answer then could anyone be so helpful to point us to an instructional?!?!

Thank you 🙂

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

markp
Grand Guru

Hi lowethca,

With the BT hubs/routers, they are only capable of VPN pass through they cannot able to create/accept  the VPN request.

You would need to put a device behind the BT routers that will be able to accept the request and then setup port forwarding in the router to pass the traffic through.

I hope this answers you query.

Markp

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

markp
Grand Guru

Hi lowethca,

With the BT hubs/routers, they are only capable of VPN pass through they cannot able to create/accept  the VPN request.

You would need to put a device behind the BT routers that will be able to accept the request and then setup port forwarding in the router to pass the traffic through.

I hope this answers you query.

Markp

lowethca

Thanks markp, you confirmed my fear!