cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving

cstamford

Hi all,

I have recently been activated (on the 22nd) and so far everything has been smooth sailing. I ran into a small problem with the IP Profile, but this was due to my router's firmware being out of date and dropping the connection. This has since been updated and the IP Profile should go back to normal soon. I only have one issue with the service so far and that is the latency.

On my router I have access to view my line stats and any errors on the line. There are a total of zero CRC, HEC or FEC errors over a connection period of 38 hours. My line is short, and extremely stable. Because the line is generating no errors, I cannot see any reason to keep error checking enabled.

I have made a few calls to BT Business tech support regarding this. The first call was made on 01/10 to an advisor named [personal details removed by moderators]. I had a good discussion with [personal details removed by moderators] and we came to the conclusion that, yes, interleaving could be turned off on my line, but I had to wait until my 10 day training in period had been completed. This is because BTW would not accept any line changes until after that period.

At [personal details removed by moderators] advice I called back again this evening, and spoke to [personal details removed by moderators]. [personal details removed by moderators] did not seem to understand what I was talking about, and told me that there was no way to switch a line to fast path. He would not take the call any further so there was nothing more I could do on that call. Unfortunately, BT Business telephone support seems to be hit-and-miss in that regard. Sometimes you talk to a fantastic advisor, and other times, the support leaves a lot to be desired.

The reason I am opening up this forum thread (like my last one) is to actually get some movement on this. I would like to request interleaving be turned off on my broadband line. You should be able to find the relevant btconnect email address in my profile.

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. I have also sent an email through the website, but have not yet received an answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cstamford

Hi all,

The line is now set to fast and the latency has halved (from 41ms to 23ms to bbc.co.uk) which is fantastic. I did receive a call but I was unable to answer it. The voicemail confirmed everything has now been fixed and the IP Profile/Latency is now perfect.

Thank you for your help David Allison from the mail team and Mark Currid from the technical team. You guys were a great help. Also, thank you very much forum moderators for making sure this was picked up. 🙂

Cheers,
Chris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

timeout

BT will not turn the interleaving off on request. The only instance they will turn this off is if there is a fault with the service where having no interleaving will sort the issue. Your speeds should sort themselves out, The line profile and interleaving are baised upon the stability of you line, the BRAS should update every 3 days and your line profile should begin to increase. If you line is stable and always runs a high sync rate, if you close to the exchange im assuming your syncing up at 8128kbps, If so Fast mode will give you no advantage as the BRAS should match the ip profile to the sync rate allowing the line to pas traffic as quickly as it possibly can, you will never achieve a throughput that matches your sync rate

cstamford

Why would BT Business not turn interleaving off on request? There are significant latency improvements to be had with interleaving turned off, and no disadvantages if your line can support it. BT Residential allow this on request. BT Wholesale support this and will do it on request from the CP. Surely a premium business service should not play second fiddle to a cheaper residential service.

Alun
Master User

Hi cstamford,

Can you Private Message me with your contact details so that I can get this send away to check if this is possible? Thank you.

Regards,

Alun
BT Business Support Forum Moderator

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

cstamford

PM sent. 🙂

Cheers,

Chris

Alun
Master User

Thanks Chris.

I have received this and passed your details off. I have requested that they contact you regarding this.

Regards,

Alun

Like this post, or any others? Please click on the star image on the left hand side if you do.
If you ask a question by putting up the first post in a thread and a follow-up post answers your question correctly, please let other Forum members know which post contains the correct answer by clicking on the 'Accept as Solution' button on the right hand side of the post.

cstamford

I received a call from an advisor named Mark a few minutes ago who confirmed the IP Profile is now fixed, and he sent a request to enable fastpath on the line to BT Wholesale. He has also arranged to take ownership of the case and follow up tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. 🙂

That's what I call customer service!

Alun
Master User

Glad to hear you are happy with the service Chris. If you can keep us updated on the forum to let us know how you are getting on Smiley Happy. Thanks.

Regards,

Alun

cstamford

Hi all,

The line is now set to fast and the latency has halved (from 41ms to 23ms to bbc.co.uk) which is fantastic. I did receive a call but I was unable to answer it. The voicemail confirmed everything has now been fixed and the IP Profile/Latency is now perfect.

Thank you for your help David Allison from the mail team and Mark Currid from the technical team. You guys were a great help. Also, thank you very much forum moderators for making sure this was picked up. 🙂

Cheers,
Chris