cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large file download capping -

Don55

Hi, using a 2700HGV with Firmware 6.3.9.63  I am unable to download the latest Apple Operating System Mountain Lion which has an advertised file size of 4.3 GB.  I understand that last year there was an issue with the Router limiting file download sizes to 2GB but this was to be resolved by a firmware upgrade. What is the current position with regard to large file downloads?  Clearly increasing use of Cloud based systems and increasingly larger file downloads with increased speeds has serious implications for business users needing to maintain top spec systems.

9 REPLIES 9

markp
Grand Guru

Hi Don55,

We are currently monitoring potential reports where customers are unable to download Mountain Lion for the Mac, we believe the problem is affecting users from all over the world, as such we are advising customers to contact Apple for further support as it is not just BT users with the problem.

Regards

Markp

BT Business Forum Moderator

iptables101
Power User

Hi. Check out this conversation from apple.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19028609

That's just one of the threads but no reponse from them yet.  

wallsrus

I'm also trying to download Mountain Lion and I'm currently getting a peak download speed of 22KB/sec!

It could take some time.

Looking at the Apple site many people seem to be having trouble with BT business broadband.  Apparently you need a proxy server or VPN, what ever they are to download at a proper pace, half an hour apparently!

I've got unlimited ADSL2 upto 20Mb.

Whilst typing this my download peak speed has dropped to 3KB/sec which might as well not be downloading.

Come on BT surely you can open the taps up a bit wider!

Don55

Hi Mark and all,

I had conversations yesterday with Apple support, one online and two on the phone. They were most interested to hear Markp's message above.  Having tried a number of things with the Apple Technician, he suggested trying an old router (if one were available).  So I did - reconnected my old Homehub2 and hey presto no problem!  fast uninterrupted download.

So BT - it appears that the operational specification for the business broadband account businesshub router is as reported by many users of a lower quality than the domestic homehub despite the higher charges!

I shall be calling BT first thing Monday morning! 

generaldisquiet
Power User

Hi All,

I can ABSOLUTELY confirm two issues that may prevent a Mountain Lion Upgrade.

1) There seem to be two discrete issues when it comes to downloading the upgrade.   The first is an App store message that says:

"We could not complete your purchase.  The product distribution file could not be verified. It may be damaged or was not signed."

It seems that this is caused, at least in some cases, by Intego Virus Barrier X6.  You will need to remove the antivirus completely, try the download again and now it should begin.  If it does, reload your antivirus.   DON"T FORGET THIS BIT!

2)  If your download now starts, but stalls after exactly 53.25 Mb, then you are almost certainly using the 2-Wire 2700 HGV router (the BT Business Hub) - this is what is causing the problem for the reasons already suggested - poor firmware.  Your only alternative is to try with a different router.

2-Wire 2700 HGV routers are widely used around the world, hence the scale of the problem - but that might suggest the fault lies at the door of 2-Wire, rather than BY.

helpinghands
Power User

I also beleive the issue is with the 2 wire router. There was a firmware upgrade last year to resolve the problem with not being able to download any file greater than 2GB. You would only have got the upgrade if your router is seen on the BT server. If you call the helpdesk, they will be able to check what firmware version you are on and can then request your router to be manually upgraded to the latest firmware. They will need the Seriel Number on the base of the router for this.

WelshGrass

Hi,

I've just switched to MAC and had the same problem downloading the Mountain Lion update. As with may others on the HGV2700 Business Hub the download stuck.

As I am connected via wired ethernet I thought does the wireless work?

I simply enabled the WiFi on the Macbook Pro, enabled OPENZONE (BT WiFi) on the router and connected to Openzone using my BT account credentials and voila! Mountain Lion downloaded fine - no file limit capping.

Hope this helps

mrgimper

I had the same problem with it stopping at ~50mb. I used one of the many free VPN services (for example, the ones provided by certain usenet accounts) and downloaded via that.

jtennet

Yep, the Openzone solution works fine.

We shouldn't have to do this though - really annoying.

Thanks WelshGrass, I was beginning to tear my hair out and I don't have much left.

@WelshGrass wrote:

Hi,

I've just switched to MAC and had the same problem downloading the Mountain Lion update. As with may others on the HGV2700 Business Hub the download stuck.

As I am connected via wired ethernet I thought does the wireless work?

I simply enabled the WiFi on the Macbook Pro, enabled OPENZONE (BT WiFi) on the router and connected to Openzone using my BT account credentials and voila! Mountain Lion downloaded fine - no file limit capping.

Hope this helps