cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparation for installation tomorrow and a slight problem

Ixel
Power User

Hi all,

I have a slight dilema that I hope someone can clarify how I should or should not proceed with.

As mentioned a few days ago, I want to remove my ADSLNation frontplate from the master socket and put a standard one on there before the engineer arrives, which I was doing this evening, but I have a problem now.

I know the screws I used with the BT OR one I bought fit the new back bit fine (yes it's branded BT OR on the top of the actual box as you might be able to see on the floor of the photo I took), but it seems for some reason (perhaps due to the back bit on the wall being an older version of the master socket box) the screw didn't fit. I ended up having to pull off the new frontplate I bought, which bent the plastic on it, so as to leave the test socket visible again. Unfortunately no matter what I do I can't get the screw out on the left (where the frontplate screwed into) out.

What should I do? Should I leave it for the engineer to handle tomorrow? When I moved in there was no frontplate at all, just a test socket. Originally I used my ADSLNation faceplate on it without any screws. Kinda worried I may have screwed up my Infinity install tomorrow, though if the screws for the VDSL faceplate are similar then the engineer would've found a similar problem that I found.

Photograph: http://i.imgur.com/OIoMQ.jpg

I'm hoping it'll just be a case of the engineer replacing the master socket with a newer version, like the one on the floor that I bought originally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MHC
Guru

Don't worry about it.   The Tech will install a new filter and lower voice front plate.

Just make sure the kettle is boiling, coffeee and biscuits are ready!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MHC
Guru

Don't worry about it.   The Tech will install a new filter and lower voice front plate.

Just make sure the kettle is boiling, coffeee and biscuits are ready!

Ixel
Power User

Ah ok, thanks. Ha, coffee can do, biscuits not sure 😛 (mainly because I don't think there are any in the house).

MHC
Guru

It will have to be bacon butties then - or a quick trip to the corner shop!

Ixel
Power User

At the moment it doesn't look like bacon butties, biscuits or coffee. 1pm has passed and no sign of engineer. I'll give it till 2pm then probably phone (only to expect to hear that it has been cancelled without informing me). The order tracking page shows no problems however.

MHC
Guru

I know it is no consolation but theh Tech might have been diverted to deal with other problems that have been caused by the high winds.    You will still be on te job list for today but eventually may be cancelled because they have run out of time.

Give the order desk a call NOW.

Ixel
Power User

Called them about 1:40pm, engineer was contacted by Openreach, about 10 minutes later I was called by the engineer about him ready for installing it.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1997409203.png - Excellent ping, excellent download (was estimated at 58.5mbps down), but weird upload at roughly 10mbps. Any ideas on the upload? You'd think that would be around 15-18mbps if the download was excellent (well, near enough maxed out). I was first in the box too.

MHC
Guru

Upload does look a little odd ... I would have expected to see it at 15 or 16 Mbps (note the M not m).

Unless you can see how the various tones are loaded it os not easy to say why.

Try running several speedtests from there, plus ones from Thinkbroadband.com  and look at the plot created in Windows Task Manager - Networking option.

Ixel
Power User

Did a thinkbroadband speed test. Download was worse (about 60Mbps, yes I used the correct notation this time :P) and upload was about the same. I'll unlock the modem tonight so I can access to the stats to get a better idea and share them accordingly.