cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP addresses

merkin

Hi,

I have had  5 static IP addresses for 6 months but have not yet configured them.

I have learned today that they will not work with my new modem/router which is a linksys WAG120N.

The chap that i eventually managed to get through to said that I either had to get the BT hub or downgrade to a single static IP.

So, anyone know how I downgrade?

Many thanks

Mat

5 REPLIES 5

JohnE
Guru

Please have a look at this, merkin:

Setting Up an ADSL Gateway with a Static IP Account

According to this, you should be able to set up static IPs in this router.  Also a call to the Linksys helpdesk may help, you could at least, confirm if it is, indeed possible to set up static IP addresses.  Indeed, it would be highly unusual for you to not be able to set up static IPs in this type of router.

merkin

Thanks John.

Can you advise on default gateway, subnet mask, primary and secondary DNS server addresses.

The subnet mask issued by BT is for 5 static IP addresses.

Do I need to downgrade my service with you folks from 5 to 1 static IP address?

Regards

Mat

BBUser

Why bother to downgrade one static and five static cost the same. why not get a good router draytec vigor 2820

merkin

Stable, Horse, Door.

Just spent £60 on this new one that will not multiplex to 5 addresses.

But thanks for the advice, how much are they by the way?

Cheers

Mat

JohnE
Guru

Well, for 5 static IP addresses, the subnet mask is: 255.255.255.248

The default gateway address is usually the "Default Gateway" or "Router" address supplied in your range.  If you don't have the complete range information, then Contact Us

Of course, with some routers, this can refer to the "Peer" address.  This is problematic, since our default gateway addresses resolve to a dynamic address on our network, you may need to speak to Linksys.

Usually, we recommend that DNS server addresses are assigned automatically.  If you can't set your router to do this, then here's a pair you can use:

62.6.40.162 & 62.6.40.178

Alternatively, you could use Google's:

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4