cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTNet Leased Line Wires-Only IPv6 Configuration

Moisie

Hello:

We have a BTNet Leased Line Wires-Only fibre connection, which we've been successfully using on IPv4 since its installation a few years ago.

We now need to set up IPv6 on the connection - but we were never given a welcome pack with any IPv6 details in it; so far I've had three conversations with the Help Desk, and the most recent interaction has resulted in me being sent the following details from the 'IPv6 Subnet Calculator':

EDIT: Removing sensitive information

The Help Desk operative insisted there was no other IPv6 information they could give me.

However, this seems like an incomplete set of addresses... For input to my UniFi Dream Machine, I need (assuming I should set it to Static IPv6 addressing, rather than DHCPv6 or SLAAP):

- IPv6 Address;

- Gateway;

- Prefix (presumably 64 here).

Could anyone point me to the right buttons to press to get the required information out of BT?

Many thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

ryan1969

@Moisie adpvantage wrote: 

Hello:

We have a BTNet Leased Line Wires-Only fibre connection, which we've been successfully using on IPv4 since its installation a few years ago.

We now need to set up IPv6 on the connection - but we were never given a welcome pack with any IPv6 details in it; so far I've had three conversations with the Help Desk, and the most recent interaction has resulted in me being sent the following details from the 'IPv6 Subnet Calculator':

The Help Desk operative insisted there was no other IPv6 information they could give me.

However, this seems like an incomplete set of addresses... For input to my UniFi Dream Machine, I need (assuming I should set it to Static IPv6 addressing, rather than DHCPv6 or SLAAP):

- IPv6 Address;

- Gateway;

- Prefix (presumably 64 here).

Could anyone point me to the right buttons to press to get the required information out of BT?

Many thanks!

Hello, 

I can see your post, I give you my best to you. Please see the below info and follow step by step.

Setting up IPv6 on your BTNet Leased Line for a UniFi Dream Machine requires a few specific details that you’ve mentioned. Based on the information provided by the Help Desk, it seems you have the IPv6 address and network prefix. You’re correct that you also need the gateway address to complete the setup.

Here’s what you can do to get the required information:

• Check Your BTNet Account Sometimes, the necessary details can be found in your online account portal, where service details are listed.
  • Look for any technical documentation or welcome packs that came with your service. Sometimes, these documents contain network configuration details.
  • Default Gateway Assumption If you cannot get the gateway from BT, a common practice is to assume the gateway is the first host in the subnet, which in your case could be 2001:AAAA: BBBB:0000::1.

Once you have all the necessary details, you can configure your UniFi Dream Machine with a static IPv6 address, the IPv6 gateway, and the prefix length, which is typically 64 for a single subnet.

If you’re not familiar with the configuration process, you might want to consult the UniFi Dream Machine’s manual or online resources for step-by-step instructions here: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/FTTP-IPv6-UniFi-Dream-Machine-Pro/td-p/2302916.

Remember to save and apply the changes, and then test your connection to ensure IPv6 is working correctly.

I hope my suggestion is helpful for you. If you need more details please tell me.

Best Regard,
ryan1969

kathlyn

Are there any specific router or firewall configurations required to support IPv6 on a BTNet Leased Line Wires-Only connection?

Moisie

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I'm still seeing no IPv6 connection at test-ipv6.com. Here's what I entered in my setup:

- WAN Connection Addressing: Static IP

Unfortunately there aren't any technical details in my account, and we were never given any welcome pack - so I'm purely relying on the scant information I've been given by the help desk.

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Moisie

I've removed your IP details off the posts as this could be used maliciously. When you say you've spoken to the help desk, you've called through to our BTnet technical team and they've not been able to assist?

^BethM

Hello BethM:

Thanks for chiming in - much appreciated.

I've removed your IP details off the posts as this could be used maliciously. 

Thanks - I had already obfuscated them to prevent against this, but to give some context as to the formats of the addresses involved.

When you say you've spoken to the help desk, you've called through to our BTnet technical team and they've not been able to assist?

Yes, that's right. I called 0808 100 2440, and the information I quoted in the original message is the most comprehensive information they've so far been able to offer. For the record, my first conversation with the help desk resulted in not even this much information - I was given only a single IPv6 address, and it was completely different from what I was given subsequently...

BethM
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Moisie

Can you please private message me with some account details so I can look into this for you? 

^BethM

Hello BethM:

Thanks - will do!

Moisie

Ok - still having problems here...

Thanks to @BethM, a little more information was gleaned from BTnet:

Ipv6 LAN Address: 2a00:....
LAN Subnet: /64
IPv6 WAN 2a00:....
Prefix: /127

Unfortunately I don't see how this applies to the IPv6 Address / Prefix Length / Gateway fields which my UniFi Dream Machine requires. I've tried entering:

- The LAN address as the router's IPv6 address;

- The WAN address as the router's IPv6 gateway;

- IPv6 Prefix Length to 64

After doing this, then running 'ping6 google.com' directly on the router's internal command line, I received a 'network is unreachable' response - so I'm guessing this setup didn't work.

Unfortunately the BTnet team don't appear to be very forthcoming: "they advised the minimal support comes down to the fact they only actually support IPv4"... 😡

Are there any members of the community who might be able to step up where BTnet appear to not be interested? Thanks.